advertisement

Looking for a good compact

Chilliboy13

pfm Member
Hi - my trusty Canon G5 (I know, waaaaay behind the times now) has popped it`s clogs.

I`m definitely more a hi-fi man than photo guy, but do want a good camera for all round `stuff` and have no worries about earlier models (but a bit better than the G5 please) that are fully working has a case + required bits.

Anything out there, or, any recommendations to look out for?

Cheers, CB13

Not much wrong with a later version of the same, G9 or newer. There are a lot of options in this market. Can you be more expansive on your requirements and budget?

Hi Milan - thanks.

Budget - up to £200 I guess. Requirements - a good all rounder for general photography (nothing fancy), reliable and easy to use, high a quality as possible, zoom good but not essential, good at very close range pics (like electronic components inside hifi kit!)

For up to 200 you would be better off looking at the used market.

Coupe's suggestions are good. Also consider the more recent G series. I owned a G9 till it started to go wrong. Great for general point and shoot with a huge array of settings and adjustments. A great little lens too. Any of the sequels that fit the finances will do.

Also there are items like the Fuji XF-1 if available (I paid $200 AUD for my wife's) that could be a good option.

if you plan to go from canon G to sony rx100, try it before you buy.
i was on sony 10 yrs ago, than moved to canon (G9, S100) and now i bought rx100II. it makes great pics but in terms of ergonomics and software, it's a bummer compared to canon. i need so much more time to get things right before shoot.

I picked up a G15 about a year ago before they were replaced by the G16 for about £300

If you can find a used or even a discounted new one they are really good all round cameras. Of particular note is that they have a proper optical viewfinder and it's reasonably accurate

I use mine a lot on building sites in the sunny dusty Middle East where all these back mounted video displays prevalent on most point and shoot cameras are totally useless in composing photos

Thoroughly recommended and to be honest I have hardly shot anything with my Lumix LX5 ever since although I do think the Lumix has a better lens and is a bit more sexy and easier to carry in the pocket but that absence of a finder is a real hindrance in sunny climes

eddie

I'd hang on a couple of weeks - with the new compacts coming out at Photokina, i'm sure prices will drop a bit further on the existing products. The thing i've found with the Sony is that it's so small it goes most places with me and i've captured stuff that i wouldn't have got otherwise. The best camera etc...

Brilliant responses everyone, very much appreciated. I`m good with used kit, so if anyone wants to offer up a good piece?? CB13

I've just taken a punt and ordered the new Canon G7 X which, if it's any good, will replace my Lumix LX5. I'd been holding out for the LX7 replacement (LX100), but it's just too big for hiking up mountains with.

Think I'll keep the LX5 until I'm happy that the Canon is better...

Say What?? The LX100 is about the same size as an X10/X20/X30/ Konica S3

how come that's too big

The LX100 is about a third heavier than the LX5. Weight/size is a major factor for me as I go wild camping and have to keep weight to a minimum. My tent is about 1kg for example and I carry freeze dried food to reduce weight. The canon is even slightly smaller than the LX5 which is a bonus.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom