advertisement

Looking for a better amp for Castle Harlech S1s

x21

pfm Member
Hello all;

I am looking for an amp with that is less grainy than my current NAD C316 BEE but can retain the PRAT. My current price range is about £700.

Rega Elex-R is a bit over your price range but would do a good job. If a bit too expensive then the Brio may be ok depending on the power needs of the Harlechs. Alternative is the Quad Elite integrated.

A naim integrated would work well with those but you would need to go on the 2nd hand market which would bring the Rega options back into the orbit also.

Exposure 2010S2 integrated will work a treat, and you can get it within budget if buying second-hand. Superb amplifier, fantastic support from Exposure if needed.

Last edited:
Any of the suggestions above will comfortably - dare I easily - best your NAD and will be a step-up with your current speakers The step-up is not subtle.

I owned the NAD C370 integrated amp in a earlier "B" system, so I know the NAD signature sound very well ... a comparative darker presentation with a rolled off top-end . That's also echoed in this review: https://www.whathifi.com/nad/c316bee/review

TAKEAWAY: a quality build Brit integrated amp will be a much improved synergy match and audio performance for your CASTLEs.

my preference with harlechs was for something powerful, well controlled and quite neutral sounding. Excess bass would IME be unwelcome, and a clean maybe slightly bright top end not unwelcome?
Arcam might be too warm, but Exposure, Quad or anything good and Japanese (Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer) should be ideal. All my opinion ofc, but based on ownership of said speakers. Perfect IMO would be Rega's Elex R...200 over budget but worth the save.

Castle did some great loudspeakers in the 90'ies
I ran my Chesters with anything from Nait's 62/140, to (Farlowe) Exposure 15/20, Creek, Onix, Obelisk.
Plenty of choice out there

Harlechs really need an amp with good control in the bass. I used an Exposure 17/18 to good effect - a very nice balance . I will be putting up for sale a re-capped and upgraded Sony 770ES which does an even better job than the Exposures - if you are interested let me know.

Had the Howards S2s, and if the Harlechs are anything like that, and from what I recall, it seemed to suit clean, controlled deliver. ie it wouldn't suit an amp with bloated bass or recessed top end.

Had a Cambridge 840 at the time which worked well, but I wouldn't necessarily suggest that over others recommended here.

Castle did some great loudspeakers in the 90'ies
I ran my Chesters with anything from Nait's 62/140, to (Farlowe) Exposure 15/20, Creek, Onix, Obelisk.
Plenty of choice out there
i also ran Chesters with a Audio Innovations Alto, Nait3 a Nac72/Nap140 and most recently a Hegel H360. The better the amp the better they sound!

I ended up finding a NAD C326BEE at a good price. It's everything I was looking for. Thanks for the help everyone.

Sorry to resurrect this post but I am not completely happy with this amp on the castles. The NAD seems to try to get them to move but they seem too slow still. I have tried the following amps:
  • Audiosource Amp 100 (stereo and bridged)
  • NAD c316bee
  • NAD c326bee
  • naim nait 1
  • naim 42/140
  • REGA Brio (2017)
  • Topping TP21
  • Topping TP60
  • TubeDepot TubeCube7
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards;
x

There's an EWA Claymore in the classifieds at half price, £700.
Member " gerlando " I think.
I personally did not like Exposure with the bottom ported Castles, both are on the slightly polite side and a little too polite together.
Another possible, if you can find one at a sensible price, is a Restek Challenger or Fable.
The AVI 2000 series and Lab series also work very well.
A possible, never tried myself, would be 500 series Meridian.

As mentioned above, a Rega Elex-r. It’s a fast, engaging amp, with a tight bass, and so shouldn’t cause the bass drivers to slow the p.r.a.t. If that fails to get the speakers moving, then me thinks different speakers required?
I had the little Castle Trents some years ago, which I recall were an easy drive.

advertisement

Back