advertisement

Longer exposures

I've just invested in the Lee Seven5 filter system, as my lens threads are all in the range 39mm to 60mm. It's pro kit, sensibly priced and I got virtually all of it half price from Ffordes.
SLR users would need the larger 100 system, but worth checking Ffordes' site and calling them as they have a huge stock of filters.

With the advice further up-thread I have bought Hoya 3 & 10 stop ND filters.Yesterday, despite the drizzle, wind still blowing a gale & grey skies I went to Lepe beach on Southampton Water where there are the remains of the D Day embarkation structures. The sea was rough which made the water white out in some images and there was no interest in the sky. The tide ideally could have been lower.

I was also hurrying to beat the oncoming rain, so probably didn't set up as well as I should have - I forgot to switch off image stabilisation and there is also an easier way to set and lock manual focus which I will use next time.

The little Fuji can't shoot longer than 30 seconds by default & can't go beyond f11. As a consequence this still only gave about 15 seconds with the 10 stop, so I stacked both filters for a few shots as an alternative.

I think this type of photography is at the limit of the X10 compared for instance to the X100 or a DSLR. I'm also not sure if the loss of definition was my inability to set accurate focus (probable), the high wind or the unstable, sloping gravel beach to set the tripod up on.

However, it wasn't a total failure so I will put up a couple or so examples in the photo of the week thread. It gives me some hope for a better outcome with better conditions. Thanks for the help

John

Unfortunately the X10 doesn't have a bulb mode, but as we approach the summer months you'll find that often 10 stops at F11 won't get anywhere near 30 seconds!! You may not need MF as it may well focus through 10 stops at these sort of duration exposures.

A neat trick at first is to but a sticker on your tripod head reminding you to turn off IS.

This was F9 at 20 seconds last Friday with a 10 stopper, so your equipment is in the right ballpark, just keep practising.

170224 Queens Dock, Liverpool by David Yeoman, on Flickr

You don't always need the full 30 seconds either, this was only 1/4 second (there is often a happy balance with water to get some movement rather than pancake flat!)

160107 Vale Royal Sluice sm by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Not such nice compositions, but probably better executed:

32999374372_714f2279f0_b.jpg

32310223844_c598c88333_b.jpg

You don't always need the full 30 seconds either, this was only 1/4 second (there is often a happy balance with water to get some movement rather than pancake flat!)

20160803_0087_1024.jpg~original

Likewise, this one at 1/10th second, no filter, handheld.

The location, incidentally, is the lock on the Sambre-Oise canal at Ors, where Wilfred Owen was killed a handful of days prior to the armistice.

I like the D-Day beach shots John. I am familiar with the structures in the sea, they are a very popular long exposure subject.

Some superb work these last few pages. I love Amar's tree. The D700 is significantly better than the Fuji version here, I think. As well as the comments already made relating to the 'analogue' look, it has a wonderful luminosity that the Fuji one lacks.

advertisement

Back