advertisement

Long tracks jumping on Qobuz with LMS

mandryka

pfm Member
It keeps jumping to the next track before the current track has ended.

I have always had this problem. Someone on the squeezebox forum suggested that it is some structural incompatibility between LMS and Qobuz,

In the past it was OK until the track had lasted for more than 20 minutes, which I can live with though it’s annoying. Just lately it’s been doing it after about 6 minutes.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution, or should I drop Qobuz? It doesn’t happen with Spotify.

System is LMS 8.2 and the standard Qobuz app with Squeezebox classic or RPi.

It keeps jumping to the next track before the current track has ended.

I have always had this problem.
Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution, or should I drop Qobuz? It doesn’t happen with Spotify.

System is LMS 8.2 and the standard Qobuz app with Squeezebox classic or RPi.
I too have had this problem very occasionally from the start when using LMS/Qobuz. Others have reported it as well. I currently assume it's some network-related glitch because of its irregular occurrence.

A while ago I made a tweak to LMS under Settings -> Advanced -> Network -> Streaming mode for HTTP(S) to change "Normal streaming" to "Persistent mode" and the skip hasn't happened since. This may just be coincidence because the problem happened so rarely but maybe it's something to try. There is a "Cached ..." mode there too which may help but I haven't tried it. If one of these obviously works for you (or obviously does not) then it would be good information.

I have LMS 8.2.1 and the most recent Qobuz plugin (v2.6.1) on a RPi4B server. Connected over WiFi to a separate player running Squeezelite on a RPi3A+.

I too have this problem. I tried increasing the size of the buffer to no avail and I will now try the tweak above. In my case it is more random than related to length, tho more likely to happen on longer tracks

I too have this problem. I tried increasing the size of the buffer to no avail and I will now try the tweak above. In my case it is more random than related to length, tho more likely to happen on longer tracks
One thing I should also mention is that prior to the above tweak I had also changed Settings -> Player -> Audio -> Streaming Method from "Direct Streaming" to "Proxied Streaming" so I am currently running Qobuz streams with the two non-default network settings.

I had the same issue and posted here about it 2 or 3 months ago. It was random, sometimes only a minute or so into the track.
I use a Sonore microrendu and updated the firmware card and the problem seems to have disappeared. Probably shouldn't have said that!

I too have had this problem very occasionally from the start when using LMS/Qobuz. Others have reported it as well. I currently assume it's some network-related glitch because of its irregular occurrence.

A while ago I made a tweak to LMS under Settings -> Advanced -> Network -> Streaming mode for HTTP(S) to change "Normal streaming" to "Persistent mode" and the skip hasn't happened since. This may just be coincidence because the problem happened so rarely but maybe it's something to try. There is a "Cached ..." mode there too which may help but I haven't tried it. If one of these obviously works for you (or obviously does not) then it would be good information.

I have LMS 8.2.1 and the most recent Qobuz plugin (v2.6.1) on a RPi4B server. Connected over WiFi to a separate player running Squeezelite on a RPi3A+.

Thanks, will try!

A while ago I made a tweak to LMS under Settings -> Advanced -> Network -> Streaming mode for HTTP(S) to change "Normal streaming" to "Persistent mode" and the skip
Hi where do you find these settings? I've used LMS for a few years and thought I knew my way round under the bonnet and can't find these settings.

Hi where do you find these settings? I've used LMS for a few years and thought I knew my way round under the bonnet and can't find these settings.
As per @Man in a van for a modern LMS. However, IIRC if your LMS is old enough to not have this option built-in, I think you may have to install the "Reliable HTTP" plugin; and I suspect configure the setting from that plugin's set-up page.

I haven't had a skip from Qobuz since I made the two changes I mentioned above. However the problem was always infrequent for me so I don't know for sure if either or both is really a cure, a partial cure or just coincidence.

Last edited:

Very good results so far from this I’m pleased to say - I haven’t changed to proxied streaming, I’ve just changed to persistent mode. This problem of skipping tracks has been a nuisance for years for me, and you seem to have found a solution. Much appreciated.

Very good results so far from this I’m pleased to say - I haven’t changed to proxied streaming, I’ve just changed to persistent mode. This problem of skipping tracks has been a nuisance for years for me, and you seem to have found a solution. Much appreciated.
Thanks for the feedback.

Chasing intermittent problems is always painful. Having someone independent confirm that a specific tweak helps them is appreciated. I have taken note that it's just persistent mode for you, so I will move back from proxied streaming to direct streaming (the default setting) on my kit to check that the Qobuz problem still stays away for me.

Prompted by @mandryka's question I did some online digging to see if there's more information about the LMS/Qobuz track skipping problem to be found. Unfortunately there is not much. And it's not very conclusive about the cause and the cure. It does seem to happen to other Qobuz apps but apparently less often (I have had one stream failure from the iPhone). ISTM it may be a combination of something in the app(s) and at the Qobuz end.

However, I did take a look at the network traffic from two official Qobuz apps (PC and iPhone) and the LMS app.

The official apps both download a complete track quickly and play it from a local copy with no further network traffic until the next track gets downloaded.

By default LMS/Qobuz ("Normal streaming" mode) downloads a small burst of data and then continuously pulls down what I presume is just enough to keep a local small in-memory buffer from emptying. Towards the end of a track this trickle-fill stops for a short while, while the track is still playing. Then there's another small data burst (again while the track is still playing). This is presumably the new track. Then a continuous trickle starts. Then the new track starts playing.

In "Persistent mode" the traffic looks the same as in "Normal streaming". I think the difference is that if the connection breaks it gets re-tried whereas I think normally it is dropped. This mode has worked for me so far.

In "Cache HTTP(S) streams on disk" mode, LMS/Qobuz behaves just like the official Qobuz apps from a network traffic PoV and downloads the complete track in one burst.

I can't recall a track skip in "Persistent mode" but I think I will try LMS networking in "Cache ..." mode for a while for the sake of Qobuz (should this really be a Qobuz-specific mode rather than a global mode?). Maybe the Qobuz end prefers this. I do have enough free space on the micro-SD card for the cache but this will potentially wear the card more quickly.

' I do have enough free space on the micro-SD card for the cache but this will potentially wear the card more quickly.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the great detective work in solving this tiresome issue. But wearing out an SD card? I've never heard of this, can you explain? Thanks

Thanks for the great detective work in solving this tiresome issue. But wearing out an SD card? I've never heard of this, can you explain? Thanks
Semiconductor persistent read-write memories only have a limited number of guaranteed read-write cycles (at least the technology I know and I think SD cards use it). As explained in the reference above from @Man in a van, some cards are better than others, but I suspect if you keep to the better brands this will not be a problem.

Thanks so much for all the digging and for sharing it. This is something that has been bugging my set up for some time, but I hadn't got to applying any thought to cause. For me it was infrequent but not rare, so definitely enough to be annoying. That frequency may be down to my networking arrangement because I have part of the house on powerline which seems to drop in and out more than I'd like, and the rest on wifi, with a NAS for rips, a NUC running LMS under ubuntu (had to migrate from the NAS after synology's perl fiasco) and a mix of picore players and a SB Touch all spread across both media.

I have implemented the persistent fix and have not had any hiccups so far. If there are, I'll throw in the caching fix as well, because that also makes a lot of sense as an explanation, if persistence is not enough. Will report back if so.

thanks again.

Likewise, grateful thanks for making Qobuz usable. I'm using "persistent" option, and so far no more jumps (coincidently I have also changed the BB hub to Picore streamer from WiFi to direct Ethernet, which may help reduce network glitches in any case).

advertisement

Back