Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Long shot - anyone with experience of fake chimneys?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by hc25036, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Cav

Cav pfm Member

This is news to me.

Where is this requirement on homeowner's set out in Law? Does it apply in every commercial circumstance e.g. do I have to have such paperwork from my car dealership before a mechanic touches a spanner?

2. psd122

psd122 pfm Member

There is no stepflashing over the soakers, I've been a roofer 40 years. Regards, Paul

Fatmarley, Tarzan, JimmyB and 2 others like this.
  3. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

^1 @psd122 ; thanks, that's exactly the kind of experienced input this thread & similar need :)

Barrymagrec likes this.
  4. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

Awesome, I'll let my neighbor know he's on the hook for the whole street!

stevec67 likes this.
  5. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

can you explain that in one sentence- I am curious

we have soakers here but I think we might have a double meaning thing happening

6. hc25036

hc25036 pfm Member

Just what I needed! Many thanks indeed - all I need to do is Google that phrase...:)

7. psd122

psd122 pfm Member

The lead chased into the brickwork on the front is the apron,the lead soakers are what you see under each course of tiles and folded up the sides of the chimney, the stepflashing fits over the soakers and is chased into the brickwork and pointed creating a watertight finish. Hope this helps.

martin clark, hc25036 and gintonic like this.
  8. hc25036

hc25036 pfm Member

That is brilliant and will help several owners on this estate. Thanks again.

9. gintonic

have you got a link to an Internet image of a proper job?

10. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

few good examples on the very mini estate next door, not wanting to take a picture as bit of a disturbance there the other night. false chimneys, text book installation. the comnpany that built them were local builders, i worked for them in the 70's and my son served his apprenticeship with them.

hc25036 likes this.
  11. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

That looks like a shocking job carried out by cowboys wearing double glazes glasses . I do hope you can get a proper job done it by the builders

hc25036 likes this.
  12. psd122

psd122 pfm Member

No sorry gt,good at roofing no so anything to do with tech.

gintonic likes this.
  13. gintonic

it OK I found some illustrated diagrams....

14. clifftaylor

clifftaylor Absolutely retired!

I have a properly built chimney which isn't used at all, if anyone's interested in buying (no time wasters, collect only).

15. gintonic

me too, mine is connected to next door, for an additional commission, I would happily negotiate with them as well

clifftaylor likes this.
  16. gintonic

in fact I am happy to lob in a chimney breast for free.....Still buyer collects though

17. hc25036

hc25036 pfm Member

Tempting...!

18. Andrew L Weekes

Andrew L Weekes Reverse Engineer

I'm genuinely surprised fake chimneys are a thing. Are they structurally sound enough to support a TV / radio antenna?

That's the only logical reason I can think for building one, otherwise it's an utter waste of materials and labour.

Tarzan and Bob McC like this.
  19. hc25036

hc25036 pfm Member

If it had been an option we wouldn’t have one! The planning documents suggest that the ‘landscape’ adviser to local planning pointed out typically properties in the village have chimneys, so despite the whole estate having air source heat pumps, chimneys we had!

20. gintonic

how do they work out for you - we are pondering them,