advertisement

Long exposures...

Interesting! However:

Might just be me, but be careful. The link works fine, but clicking a further link to 'the pictures' or some such has just caused my PC to freeze... twice. No damage, but a right royal PITA.

Pity, because this is just up my street. Would the camera really be 'open' for 6 months? Must use extremely slow film/ludicrously tiny aperture etc. Anybody know any other sites detailing methods?

Mull

Link works for me, I think that's a local problem to your machine.

Methodology here. It's a pinhole camera, so tiny aperture. Straight onto paper too, no film.

what's with the no development as well? I presume this means that the light is bleaching the paper or something like that?

I had this idea of making a pinhole camera by drilling a small diameter hole into a body cap then mounting it on my camera. The results were crap, though -- way too blurry even for the homage to blurry pictures thread.

Any idea how small the hole should be and if the thickness of the body cap (about 1 mm) is thick enough to cause diffraction?

Joe

Mo,

The hole is more or less the size of a pin, yet the results were crap.

Joe

I had this idea of making a pinhole camera by drilling a small diameter hole into a body cap then mounting it on my camera. The results were crap, though -- way too blurry even for the homage to blurry pictures thread.

Any idea how small the hole should be and if the thickness of the body cap (about 1 mm) is thick enough to cause diffraction?

Joe

I've done this before and it didn't work too badly. This is how I did it:

1) Cut a hole in the middle of the body cap (about 1cm square). Doesn't have to be too neat.

2) Drink a can of beer and then cut a square out of the empty can. Mind you don't slash your fingers as the edges are v. sharp. Make sure the square is bigger than the hole in the body cap :rolleyes:

3) Make a dent (not a hole) in the metal square using the blunt end of a sewing needle. Then turn the square over so you can see a raised bump. Lightly run some sandpaper over the bump, then hold it to the light. Keep doing this until you can just see a pinprick of light through the metal. That's your pinhole.

4) Mount the metal square in the cutout using black tape. The side that you sanded should be facing out (ie. not facing the film/sensor).

Line the inside of the body cap with black tape to cover as much of the metal square as possible (apart from the hole of course). This will stop light bouncing off the metal and buggering up the picture.

6) Take some pictures.

Joe

Body cap alone is way too thick. Drill a hole in the cap. Take a piece of beer can aluminium. Wear a hole almost through it with a very thin sewing needle, then sand it to a hole with the finest grade paper you can find. Fix to body cap with tape.

This was my first go. 20 seconds at ISO 1600. It's possible to get them a lot sharper but it's a bit hit and miss getting the hole right.

3071930561_944ba874c7.jpg

Ah, that's where I went wrong. I forgot the beer.

Cheers <hick> chaps.

Joe

P.S. Is this considered bodging? I don't want Mick on my case.

Joe

Only if you're using a Leica; Mick doesn't regard anything made by other manufacturers as a camera.

Splendid. Think I'm going to try some all night pinhole exposures out of my window. Maybe build up to a couple of years.

Yeah, but you could stick a camera out on a 10 year exposure in Hastings, and still nothing would have happened.

This really appeals to the schoolboy scientist/geek in me. Blowing things up with home made pipe bombs has ceased to be an option since terrorism became so popular, so it offers an alternative.
Being old, I vaguely remember discussions of pinhole cameras on TV progs such as early Blue Peter, or even the earlier 'All Your Own'... (Huw Wheldon anyone?) I suppose the ultimate geekyness would be to use some sort of home brewed photosensitive coating or summat.

I must remember to scan/quote or whatever and post, an article I have in Chambers Journal for 1864, entitled 'Photographs in the Last Century' which asserts that photography started in the 18thC.

advertisement

Back