advertisement

Long Covid

Sleep issues for sure, both me and Mrs cj, long after the main symptoms have dissipated.

Although she already had symptoms of dry mouth before Covid, as part of her long journey through menopause, it has been far more pronounced since.

Sleep issues due to muscle aches - yes - impossible to get comfortable and if I do drop off and happen to move, the aches wake me up.
It is now 2 years since I probably hade C19 so it has reduced, basically it ebbs abd flows, but by coincedence, last night was extremely uncomfortable - my calves and feet thought that they'd just walked 50 miles over very rough ground.

Never had a dry mouth

Anyone had sleep issues and very dry mouth at night as a symptom of this ?
I'm having this too (apart from having never really recovered my sense of smell), but I suspect that dry mouth at night is something that comes with age, I'm 55. Water bottle next to the bed, a boring podcast on the phone to sleep again, sorted.

Both Mrs. S. and I both had COVID in April 2020 and are still dealing with various issues from then, dry mouth and nose and the insomnia thing are all worse since we 'recovered'. We're both drinking (not alcohol!) a lot more than previously.
The one symptom I've not seen mentioned is breathlessness. We're both struggling with that. She has asthma anyway so it affected her more at the time and she was hospitalised for a week. Now I'm out of breath just carrying bags of shopping from the car.
I'm hoping it's just a long recovery and not permanent.

Andy

The one symptom I've not seen mentioned is breathlessness. We're both struggling with that. She has asthma anyway so it affected her more at the time and she was hospitalised for a week. Now I'm out of breath just carrying bags of shopping from the car.

I have asthma and my breathing was terrible for several months after infection. Asthma does not affect anything to do with this. It was so bad - in random spells - that at work one wit would play Darth Vader when it kicked in - actually very similar. My blood oxygen level never dropped below 97%.
Breathlessness was what drove me to see the doctor, when they diagnosed long covid as a result of several symptoms, not just laboured breathing.
My doctor INSISTED that my asthma was worse (though unconnected with C19), which it probably is, but having had asthma for 40-some years, I knew that the gasping was unconnected to asthma. I am now using Trimbow inhalers twice, twice per day (originally a treatment for COPD, but recently approved for treating asthma).

Totally weirdly, the moment that I went to bed, the breathlessness disappeared completely.

I then spoke to an NHS breathing expert who ran through some VERY simple points - I have essentially had no spells of "fake" gasping for air since. She basically made me aware of EXACTLY how I was breathing, and how I should be breathing - sounds totally daft, but it worked.

advertisement

Back