advertisement

Long awaited dac finally out (no the other one)

adamdea

You are not a sound quality evaluation device
The DSpeaker x4 is finally out. Its arrival has been announced as imminent for 2 years or so.

https://webstore.vlsi.fi/epages/vlsi.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/2015020901/Products/"Anti-Mode X4%2C Audio Processor%2C Country of Origin%3A FI%2C Taric%3A 85437006"

I'm a big fan of the antimode which is a perfectly decent dac and adc with room correction and all sorts of bells and whistles for a very modest price. The X4 is about 4 times the price. It has more inputs (good) and a headphone out with some fancy dsp too (probably good) but it's not clear what extra it brings to the party. One would like to think that the room correction algorithm was much better but the manual does not give much away. If it were comparable in price to the antimode I would be all over it like a rash but I see this as a competent dac/adc* plus about £2k or software, which had better be good.

If anything my gripe with the antimode was that its drc is a bit too automated. You can tweak other bits of the dsp but there's not a whole lots you can do to analyse the antimode's room sweep (cf what you can see in REW)

Anyway if anyone has seen this product or knows anyone who has heard or reviewed it do let me know.

If it were comparable in price to the antimode I would be all over it like a rash but I see this as a competent dac/adc* plus about £2k or software, which had better be good.

Having looked at the manual, I'd have to agree. Disappointing. I guess they can be forgiven for giving it a more "hi-end" look, but the other improvements -- proper remote, better mic (probably -- looks like a rebadged Behringer), mic stand -- certainly don't justify the hike.

advertisement

Back