advertisement

London Climate Protests

On less frivolous note, anyone know if these ecotests are continuing tomorrow? I am need to get tube to Moorgate

I don't understand how disrupting public transport, so people use their cars, is being green

Its using disruption as a means to raise public awareness of the issues and I don't see how profiling the participants (white with dreadlocks for example) is helpful in this respect. Its always the same thing "Oh, they're just a bunch of layabouts or hippies, students" etc..

Only an idiot would take their car into central London today, given there are traffic jams being caused by the demos. It's good to see cynics have already turned up on this page. Pfm has its share of right-wing smugs.

There's a singing demo at the end of the month in Berkeley Square, where A Nightingale Sang. Think I'll be going along to that. Jamming up a rich section of London, while whistling a tune, in the fight against climate change sounds fine to me.

The Extinction Rebellion group have had some great ideas so far for demos.

Jack

Only an idiot would take their car into central London today, given there are traffic jams being caused by the demos. It's good to see cynics have already turned up on this page. Pfm has its share of right-wing smugs.

There's a singing demo at the end of the month in Berkeley Square, you know where A Nightingale Sang. Think I'll be going along to that. Jamming up a rich section of London in the fight against climate change sounds fine to me.

Jack

Yup, it's easy to sit on your arse and sneer from the sidelines. Right-wingers almost invariably think in cliches too:

Without people like this and thousands of others willing to stand up for what they believe in (and, OK, to occasionally look like a tit in the process), we'd still be in the dark ages.

Its using disruption as a means to raise public awareness of the issues and I don't see how profiling the participants (white with dreadlocks for example) is helpful in this respect. Its always the same thing "Oh, they're just a bunch of layabouts or hippies, students" etc..

I take it you dont read the Mash? It's full-on right wing crush-the-poor type-stuff...

Yup, it's easy to sit on your arse and sneer from the sidelines. Right-wingers almost invariably think in cliches too:

Without people like this and thousands of others willing to stand up for what they believe in (and, OK, to occasionally look like a tit in the process), we'd still be in the dark ages.

No. The real stuff happens behind the scenes and has much to do with money, trade deals etc. Big Business and Gouvernments (some say one and the same) decide on what's happening. I won't even mention Brexit ... .

These folks are just delusional but good on them if it creates a little feeling of togetherness and Shangri La.

They make nought difference (other than alienating many to the cause.) It may seem praiseworthy and fashionable for a day but let's see how long that lasts ... .

Sort of intriguing that she believes in non-violent civil disobedience yet, by association, seems to also condone vandalism and criminal damage.

It's also odd conflating Left vs Right with some inherent sense of caring about vs not caring about the ecology. Over simplistic at best and also erring on cliche territory.

But I do agree with this movement, just not really their methods, which alienate many from what is a noble cause.

Why people are halting the progress of about the most eco-friendly mode of transport in London is beyond me.... I expect they'll be walking back to their communes in Stroud though, so that's OK.

Sort of intriguing that she believes in non-violent civil disobedience yet, by association, seems to also condone vandalism and criminal damage.

It's also odd conflating Left vs Right with some inherent sense of caring about vs not caring about the ecology. Over simplistic at best and also erring on cliche territory.

But I do agree with this movement, just not really their methods, which alienate many from what is a noble cause.
I don’t get your argument about not condoning violence, but condoning vandalism and criminal damage. Civil disobedience may take many forms, some of which may not be lawful under current legislation. But it seems to me to be entirely right to take an ethical stance and draw the line at violence. And much, probably most of what you describe as vandalism and criminal damage seems to me to be at the trivial end of the spectrum.

Secondly it’s ‘ecology’ not ‘the ecology’; perhaps you meant ‘the environment’?

And as to the methods, I don’t see any alternative methods having had much effect. And I do see a lot of non-participants waking up to the awareness that, just maybe, a stand needs to be taken on this. So I see more upsides than downsides.

I don’t get your argument about not condoning violence, but condoning vandalism and criminal damage. Civil disobedience may take many forms, some of which may not be lawful under current legislation. But it seems to me to be entirely right to take an ethical stance and draw the line at violence. And much, probably most of what you describe as vandalism and criminal damage seems to me to be at the trivial end of the spectrum.

And as to the methods, I don’t see any alternative methods having had much effect. And I do see a lot of non-participants waking up to the awareness that, just maybe, a stand needs to be taken on this. So I see more upsides than downsides.

Try not to buy anything from these countries;

https://www.activesustainability.com/environment/top-5-most-polluting-countries/

That would really make a difference.

Practical?

For most ... no ... plus it would of course create numerous other problems in the process.

There's a lot that you 'don't get'.

Greta Thunberg has been speaking to EU leaders in Strasbourg.

The 16-year-old activist said: 'If our house was falling apart our leaders wouldn’t go on like we do today ... if our house was falling apart you wouldn’t hold three emergency Brexit summits and no emergency summit regarding the breakdown of the climate and the environment.'

The British government will have to be forced to make effective changes to minimize our carbon footprint.

What are they doing? Well they're on holiday again, sitting on their podgey backsides, counting their money and devising new ways to treat the public like mugs.

I look forward to more Extinction Rebellion demos. What they could do with though is an emergency lane for ambulances etc. I imagine it would be difficult to organize.

Sooner or later the police and government will lose their rag. May and her cronies got the hump in February when schoolkids around the world demonstrated against climate change.

Jack

advertisement

Back