advertisement

Logitech officially discontinues its Harmony remotes

Personally although old, I prefer the Harmony software for pc rather than poking around in the app

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/download
Oh yes, so do I. The Harmony App. I've got on my iPad's OK for changing volume & sources, but hopeless for programming purposes. I'm having to run OS Mojave on my MacBook Pro to use MyHarmony, being the last OS that'll run it. A small price to pay.

If anyone is looking for a spare, I have a Harmony 555 that I don’t use that I’d happily move on?

The ironic thing is that I was happy with my Harmony 650, using my old but fully functional 65" RPTV. My Blu-ray player was doing a crappy job of playing NetFlix, so I decided to get an NVidea Shield TV to help out. The Shield TV doesn't do IR, so I had to upgrade to a Harmony Companion with the Hub. Then I discovered that the Shield TV couldn't do 1080i for my TV, and the upscaled 720p looked terrible. It also couldn't handle the overscan of the old projection tubes. Consequently I returned the Shield TV and upgraded my TV instead.

So now I have the Harmony Companion, even though all of my current devices do IR and would have worked fine with the 650. I'll admit that the IR signal from the Harmony Hub is better, but the Companion remote doesn't have backlighting (which the 650 did). Consequently I've bought an Elite remote just for that feature. Perhaps I should have just reverted to the 650. :rolleyes:

My Elite arrived today - looks to be in very good nick, even included a silicone case for the remote (which probably explains it.) I see my home automation system of choice (HomeSeer) has a plug-in which allows integration with the Harmony Hub. This probably would open up a whole new world of possibilities, were I not so dense that I can’t imagine what they are.

I... bought a used [Elite] on eBay tonight.
Impressed so far - after a couple of false starts I’ve reset it, transferred all the commands for eight devices from my 700, found another device in the database that enables it to control my Khozmo passive (only display brightness to add, a job for later) - and unlike the original Khozmo controller it doesn’t have to be pointed directly at the box in order to work.

I tend to find that in the settings for a number of items, leaving them switched on is a good move, i.e. for ATVs, and other streaming boxes, it will put them into standby which seems to confuse ARC.

If you are willing to get your hands dirty you can also control roon with it to an extent..

Failed with the display brightness control for the Khozmo. Oddly enough, when I loaded the app, there was one there already which didn’t work. I tried teaching another, but although I was told it had been learned, that didn’t work either. Might be an odd implementation, repeated presses of the button decrease the brightness, then jump back to full, then decrease again. Never mind, it’s less than a minor problem.

I’d quite like to interface Harmony with LMS. HomeSeer has plugins for both, so it might just be possible.

Last edited:
My wholesaler has been running out of Harmony product for around a year-their ordering system said "restock date unknown" -seemed ominous. I have been using 650's and the immediate predecessor model for a decade -maybe more ? The library of codes simply amazes me with the ability to find old and obscure products IR codes and programing the 650 is pretty darn easy (I've never bothered with macro's) - the one drawback has been I've gone thru a few of them over the years -usually one button will become unreliable and I will replace it. Got the feeling these were going bye-bye -so just bought two more refurbished 650's last week . The question is - will Logitech add new products to their database and if so -for how long ?

So what will any of you be replacing your harmony's with come the day?
I have a 650 which suits my basic hifi needs, I don't have any smart home stuff, but dread the day when it gets stood on, so are there any similar remotes that have found favour?

I ordered the 950 from a dealer here in the uk website said in stock turns out they do not have it and now i am on the search for any uk dealers who have it in stock help would be very welcome

Just ordered a used Harmony One from ebay. Looking forward to having a play with one as I have been meaning to buy one for some time and never got round to it.

Get yourself an old Samsung tablet with an IR blaster they can be had for under 60 notes add in any mote app you can configure the remotes on to one page and customize everything so one button press to turn on amps pre DAC etc or Projector Blue ray etc etc. Controlled a lot of rather esoteric stuff I had.

advertisement

Back