advertisement

Logic Tonearm?

The Datum had a rather unfortunate early history - plenty of issues which eventually did for Logic - but was potentially an excellent arm. The final Datum II and Datum IIS were undoubtedly the best of them but still be wary of bearings and dodgy anodising. However Manticore picked up the pieces and did sort things out and used what they learned from the Datum as the basis for their Musician and Magician arms. These were superb arms, and "Ittok beater" was not just idle hyperbole. They were woefully undersold though and initially priced too cheaply to be taken seriously. When the price was hiked up to something more realistic it was too late...

Regarding the Datum in the link, it's a Datum II, which is good news, although I'd still want to know about the bearings before committing real money. Also, the anodising isn't looking that great, with quite a lot of blueing, but at least that's rather better than the severe roseing that can occur on others.

Thanks for the info. Just general interest on my part.

Several examples on eBay recently selling between £130 and £220.

Mull

Hi Mull, I've had long experience of two samples the Datum II arm as well as a sample of the top model Datum 'S' and rated them very highly. None of them had bearing problems, in fact the bearings seemed quite special if anything!

I can confirm, however, that on very early samples of the Datum II (not the 'S' as this was a late model) the black anodised finish can fade when exposed to long periods of high humidity and/or sun-light :(

So, if you can find a late model (with its connecting cable) at around £200 I would definitely advise taking a punt :). Interestingly the internal wiring is high qulity, but the connecting cable is the typical 'freebie' item and the arm very much demands/warrants better.

The Datum S is really quite rare and cost nearly double the II when new (it having Silver internal wiring, selected bearings, Tungsten counterweight, better headshell etc.) and it's not easy to predict a current price though £300+ would seem reasonable for the spec offered and the sound quality potential (close to my Audio Origami PU7 - 2012 spec).

Keith.

I saw a Logic arm on a DM101 at Westwoods in Oxford in the '80s. I didn't think it was up to Linn standards by any means.
I heard the turntable and arm ( demonstrated by the Logic Rep. ) and, although it had an unfamiliar cartridge, ( a Dynavector MC ) the combination sounded good especially in the bass end.
The LP12 was a little more laid back, I recall. It's all a long time ago, though...

As mignun mentions in post#3, mid period Datum II can have black anodiding that has a blue tinge. This tinge could be seen when new as the material used in manufacture was a Duralumin type light weight metal, ie. high-tensile (precipitation hardening) aluminium-copper alloy, that is not particularly amenable to substantial (ie. deep & porous) anodising and, hence, was difficult to stain to a really deep/jet black. In fact, the very late models (including 'S' model) had some sort of black crackle hard deposition on top of the anodised finish, which is very durable and looks very smart too.

IMHO, the late models are a truly over-looked gem of a tonearm and are very much worth seeking out. should you come across an 'S' type, snap the sellers hand off without hesitation!

Keith

I had one of these fitted to a Dunlop Systemdek 11 back in about 1985 or so. Back then everyone was buying the Rega Planar 3 because thats what the magazines told you to do!! If I remember correctly the turntable was £115 and the Logic arm £79. I was amazed how much better it sounded compared to the Rega.

The standard Datum is a good arm, on a par with a modded RB 250/300.

The Datum S is really good. It came as standard on the Gemini deck, the one with the twin motors.

Substituting the S for the standard Datum on the DM101 wrought a massive improvement.

Never had problems with any of them; standard Datum benefits from a rewire, as do most arms of that vintage. The finish may not be up to, say, Linn standards, but the engineering is fine.

The non-standard cable socket is a mild annoyance.

RustyB, I'm intrigued by your comment of the non-standard cable socket :confused:

Would you please elaborate.

Cheers, Keith

advertisement

Back