Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Living Voice Auditorium, DeVore, Audio Note AN-E

Discussion in 'audio' started by Old Shatterhand, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

This is exactly what l was going to say as the LV's can be fussy about this- good luck with what ever you do.

2. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Manufacturer and Distributor

The 2A3 is a great sounding valve but 2 will not give 18 watts. You might get 9 watts/channel from a pair.

3. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

If you are moving then surely with the wonga you may be spending a home demo is the way forward- cannot imagine dealers not doing his for you.:)

4. rescuest3ve

rescuest3ve pfm Member

This was exactly my experience too (albeit with different speakers). I switched from a 10w SET to an 18w 2a3 PP, and was delighted with the extra slam and bass texture. Rock/metal/punk etc etc was so much better now. Sounds like I have new speakers!

chris@panteg and Old Shatterhand like this.
  5. Old Shatterhand

Old Shatterhand pfm Member

6. Colin123

Colin123 Well-Known Member

I use a Puresound 2A3 as well, driving some Heco Direkt's, a brilliant combination.
    Reading what you have said so far I think you should give them a listen.
    Years ago, 1980's I had Snell J/11's and Audio Innovations amp, I prefer the Heco's.

chris@panteg likes this.
  7. G T Audio

You will not get 12watts from a pair of 2A3's even in push pull. You might get 8-9 watts at best. Check the spec of the valve.

Old Shatterhand likes this.
  8. Old Shatterhand

I only quoted the specs from NAF, and yes, you are right. A single 2A3 has around 3,5 watt @ 5% distortion (Edit) in Class A.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    G T Audio likes this.
  9. PerF

PerF Member

I've heard AN-E placed in corners on a full AN rig, they are nothing like those Snell I recall.
    maybe lacking substance but lots of music and tone, PQ got it really right but at a cost.

Heard Devore at shows, fabulous but at a price.

10. tuga

tuga Legal Alien

I missed this for some reason (perhaps because only quotes trigger an alert).

Several things disappointed me: tonal balance was far from neutral, the system made a mess of the orchestra (perhaps a mash would be more accurate) and sounded lacking in perceived dynamics and low-level detail/resolution.

I had a pair of Spendor SP9/1s at the time, currently using Stirling LS3/6s.

11. pure sound

pure sound Trade: manufacturer/distributor

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Tarzan, chris@panteg and G T Audio like this.
  12. G T Audio

Yes, the RCA data sheet confirms that in Class AB. I was expecting triodes like this would be run cathode bias in Class A. Good you can get that power from a pair of 2A3s as these are great valves.

chris@panteg and pure sound like this.
  13. pure sound

pure sound Trade: manufacturer/distributor

I'm always pleasantly surprised by what they'll do operated in this way, not that I'd advocate speakers that'd require the full 15W :D

chris@panteg and G T Audio like this.
  14. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

The Puresound 2a3 has been measured as having 18w per channel by hifi choice, in fact at full output 20w though with 2% distortion but with my LV's I'm probably only using just under 1 watt at normal listening.

15. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

I too had Type JII and second audio amps .
    I prefer the Puresound 2a3 and the Direkt's are something I'm looking at if I change from the LV's.

16. G T Audio

Acknowledged. I thought the amp as it was running triodes would be running in class A, not class AB, hence my initial post.

chris@panteg likes this.
  17. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

Yes I thought that when I first heard about the amp, I met Guy at a show and he explained about the design, so the amp could be used with a wider range of speakers. Though still needing efficient designs.

G T Audio likes this.
  18. Perart1

Perart1 pfm Member

Interesting thread....... I am familiar with the Devore speakers and they do a superb job of revealing the detail and complexity of classical recordings, especially the timbre in the human voice. Not sure that they how they perform with a Bossendorfer in full cry though.Like most speakers it is the quality of the lower frequency that matters rather than the amount. Great with good jazz recordings ie' OP We have regrets etc. They do need some room to breathe though to give their best. GT Audio used to import them but I think no longer does so.I heard them driven by 211 valves

If I had not needed the floor space I would certainly have considered them

Living voice are probably well known for their coherency. I do not think that they do anythig badly as you would ecpect from Kevin. My problem was that they seemed to lack come control in the base and dynamics. They were driven by Kondo amps so perhaps not surprising. Not really for me.

Not suffiently familiar with AN speakers to comment.

There is another speaker that you might want to consider; Horning. They are sufficiently sensitive to be happy with SET amps. I heard them originally being driven with SET2a3 valves and was surpised at what they can do. They can be set up close to the rear walls (30cms). They also do a good job handling a bossendorfer driven with a SET300B amp ! I have the earlier Euphrodites so they are quite deep. The later models hade adopted the popular lute shape and are accommodated more easily.

19. Old Shatterhand

Morning,
    the moving to the new flat is getting closer and I'm still curios if the LV will work in that 14sqm room.
    If not I have to look for alternatives and there is still Audio Note in my mind.

I have watched many videos on YT about AN. I know YT videos don't give a 100% reliable impression how something sounds but in every video with AN I heard a slightly cupped handed sound and also slightly cloudy and thick lower midrange. Also Stereophile has mentioned it in the review.

So I'm asking people who have listened to some Audio Note speakers if that is the case. I'm very, very sensitive with this kind of sound and if every AN speaker has these kind of sound, I don't have to look any further or buy a pair blind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash AN, every speaker has advantages and disadvantages, it is only that it is very important to me that a speaker hasn't that kind of sound.

Thank you for your honest (in case of an AN speaker owner) response and help.

20. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio