advertisement

Living by the sea - choice?

I'd not call North Harbour IBM HQ although it was when I used to visit rather big. I think that honour goes to South Bank a lovely spot on the Thames.

Cheers,

DV

Capita bought it all up a couple of years ago and then sub let a lot of it to other companies. Have been there a few times for meetings whilst planning Capitas take over of the world :)

Yes I am in South Hampshire,

re IBM and office ownership - from what I remember it used to lease office property prior to the 70s and then decided it was better to own the property, in the 90s they then moved against owning property and sold the properties and leased them back - Some of the old IBM sites are still occupied by IBM some are not. The original building at North Harbour is no longer occupied by IBM and contains many other companies (I understand). The Havant Plant site went into shared use about 13 years ago. The offices in Basingstoke were all rented property.

I do not know who owns the Hursley site.

It has been a long time since I darkened the door of any IBM building. As long as they keep putting money into my bank account each month with an increase each month I will continue to not darken their doors.

IBM tried to headhunt my dad during the 80's and I remember him joking that he wouldn't work for a bunch of Mormons who wouldn't let him wear brightly coloured ties to work.

(For brightly coloured one should read very hideous 80's type ties)

He worked for ICL if anyone remembered that once great company.

If you go for it be warned, seagull poo is extremely acidic. Be prepared to check your car and clean off deposits daily or risk paintwork damage.

The sea. I couldn't stand living in a flat landlocked urban sprawl anymore. We live at the weekends overlooking sea and mountains here in Scotchland. We went wild swimming from a private harbour in the glittering sea this afternoon, in the scud. The only people who could see were in a yacht a mile out.

L'enfer est les autres.

If you go for it be warned, seagull poo is extremely acidic. Be prepared to check your car and clean off deposits daily or risk paintwork damage.
The salt air makes cars rust like anything. I grew up in Milford Haven and cannot think why you say St Davids is pricy, the whole of Pembrokeshire is in depression these days.

Lancashire coast can be stunning,Southport and Ainsdale, Wirral peninsula/Moels/Hoylake West Kirby beautiful.All handy for Lake District and North Wales too.
Rust? I've lived here for 15 years and the underneath of my Honda is like new..

big whatsit said

"IBM tried to headhunt my dad during the 80's and I remember him joking that he wouldn't work for a bunch of Mormons who wouldn't let him wear brightly coloured ties to work. "

This is the first time I have heard mention that Tom Watson was a Mormon. I have not found any reference to this.
He was a Democrat and ran the company as if it was an evangelizing religion - if any thing the religion was IBM.

By the 80s alcohol was available on IBM property in canteens in in European where it was part of the local tradition, It was also supplied at social events in 70s in the UK, but probably not in the US. I went to a conference held at the IBM Endicott Country Club in 76 and it was dry - if not very dry.

As for Mormon business leaders, they include Bill Marriott and son - (of Marriott Hotel fame) - I also think that the owner of the Wordperfect Word processor company was a Mormon - his company was based in Orem in Utah.

advertisement

Back