advertisement

Live music is rubbish

Blzebub

It's difficult to think of a bigger waste of money than a live concert (classical excepted). Wildly expensive and often difficult to get tickets, rubbish view, poor sound, self-indulgent track choices by the artiste, queue for beer, toilets, etc. Idiots jostling, people shouting "woooo!", people doing that annoying whistling thing, people throwing urine (I have observed this). It's totally sh!te.

I've never been disappointed listening to music on my hi-fi, but I am approximately 95% disappointed with the live experience, and the 5% satisfaction comes from my youth when I was more easily pleased.

I don't like big concerts either. Small gigs in strange locations are cool though.

Also prefer studio recordings to live stage performances on the whole, but there's a few that get it write live.

Phish is probably the most expensive ticket I ever buy. You get a recording of the show free, too.

Most shows in the DC/Baltimore area are under 25 bucks. Most I see are closer to 10 dollars

Bub-

My buddy (Ivan- alto sax; on the right- glasses, beard, hat). $5.:

Last edited by a moderator:
Idiots jostling, people shouting "woooo!", people doing that annoying whistling thing, people throwing urine (I have observed this). It's totally sh!te.
Bub you must stop going to those Kylie concerts.

People do the "wooo!" thing everywhere. It's so lame. And the whistle where they put fingers in the corners of their mouths. Why? I'd genuinely like to know.

I don't attend live pop or rock concerts but when it comes to jazz or other forms of music, I'd have to disagree. Live music not only sounds different, the level of communication and engagement is far superior to the canned stuff.

Buddy or no buddy....I like this music- sounds like a mongrel between klezmer and Dixieland jazz. And I have some of each in my collection- so why not?

Returning to the OP-its the format of live music that determines whether it is worth watching or not, sometimes more than the actual content. I would gladly pay extra-although in most cases it is less- for a smaller more intimate venue and be given the chance to stand a cars length from the performers, and then be able to meet and chat with them after the gig or maybe even have a brew with them. It should be more about bringing the music to the people, then bringing the people to the music. This of course rules out the Stones and Kylie.

I've seen two Pink Floyd tribute bands who although were no PF (but still they did come very closely to replicating their music) were more of a musical experience than when I was Roger Waters with Eric Clapton and the NEC.

I suppose in a small venue there's a marginally smaller chance of an idiot whistling with their fingers in their mouth, or shouting "woooo!" before the end of the song, or throwing urine. But I'd still rather listen to music at home, on the hi-fi. It always sounds better.

Live music can be very exciting and engaging if the performer is doing soemthing new, improvised or providing a fresh insight into old and known material.

IF, the act isn't trying to perfectly replicate a studio album - then it is dull, tedious and not worth the ticket money.

Chaps

If anyone is daft enough to allow themselves to be ripped off by Ticketmaster or some other bunch of con merchants, then on their own head be it.

In 90% of the cases, you are better off watching the event on DVD.

Basically the audiences are treated like cattle and are regarded as a bunch of mugs to be milked by a very efficient industry.

Regards

Mick

PS Going down the local pub listening to a local band is the best way to hear live music. I once heard Jamie Callum play in a Swindon restaurant before he made it and he was bloody good.

If anyone is daft enough to allow themselves to be ripped off by Ticketmaster or some other bunch of con merchants, then on their own head be it.
If you want to buy the ticket, what option do you have? The free market doesn't seem to exist in the sphere of live event ticketing.

Chaps

In 90% of the cases, you are better off watching the event on DVD.

Basically the audiences are treated like cattle and are regarded as a bunch of mugs to be milked by a very efficient industry.

Regards

Mick

PS Going down the local pub listening to a local band is the best way to hear live music. I once heard Jamie Callum play in a Swindon restaurant before he made it and he was bloody good.

never heard of him and no one else has.

Mind you that Jamie Cullum...

If you want to buy the ticket, what option do you have? The free market doesn't seem to exist in the sphere of live event ticketing.

The market exist because year after year thousands of gullible mugs pay stupid prices.

The answer is simple, don't buy tickets and the prices will come down.

Regards

Mick

advertisement

Back