advertisement

Live albums

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A massive yes to Secret World and Keith Jarrett. Secret World is such an incredible live performance from one of the great masters of the art.

When Tony Levin's thunderous bass line kicks in on the actual Secret World it's utterly majestic. What a bassist. He blows my mind...

When Tony Levin's thunderous bass line kicks in on the actual Secret World it's utterly majestic. What a bassist. He blows my mind...

I have very fond memories of Mr Levin giving the XL6’s a good workout! It’s a stupendously good recording.

I have very fond memories of Mr Levin giving the XL6’s a good workout! It’s a stupendously good recording.

I had a pair of these before my Kudos Titan 88s.. Stupendously good speakers. The bass performance of both these speakers is off the scale...

A number of online hi fi websites seem to rate Fink’s “Wheels Turn Beneath my Feet” when testing kit. If it’s sound you’re after it’s worth checking although I find the music well played but a little ordinary.

I’d go for a lot of the jazz mentioned above, and add The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East, Curtis Live and Jarrett’s Blue Note set.

Electric Masada - At the Mountains of Madness. Miles Davis - Dark Magus.
King Curtis - Live at the Filmore West

However, my favourite live 'rock' band is definitely King Crimson. USA or The Great Deceiver are from their most fertile period. I think I have about 50 complete sets by them across a number of box sets, many in multitrack fidelity.

If you like your rock music a bit more agricultural, AC/DC's 3 live albums are also well worth getting and great sounding and Status Quo's 'Quo Live' is both their last decent album and possibly their best and one of the least mucked about with live albums I've heard.

Ben Webster live at the renaissance, simply outstanding.
Neil Young, live at massey hall and rust never sleeps, superb

Jazz live records are nearly always far more successful than rock/pop. ‘Live at Filmore East’ by Allman Bros Band is rather good.

Thelonious Monk - ‘Live at the Town Hall’ is great as is ‘My funny Valentine’ - Miles Davis.

Rolling Stones - get yer ya yas out
Ten years after - recorded live
Eric Clapton - unplugged (does this count?)

The Who - Live at Leeds
Free - Live
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
David Bowie - Glastonbury Live
Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live

advertisement

Back