advertisement

Little Amal’s epic walk

It appears to be Amal, not Amel, you might want to change it.

Notwithstanding the impartial observation that she looks quite old for a little girl, a moving and rather beautiful piece of theatre. The (British) makers seem to go to some length to say that it isn't a political statement, though you are clearly projecting it as one. Hard not to, I guess.

I didn't see anything in that Grauniad report that suggested it wasn't political. I imagine the organisers want to avoid it becoming party political lest people take sides, but the political intent is writ large in every movement, surely?

Very interesting, I'd agree that this is 'Art' with a political motive. One thing I don't understand is why refugees from Syria venture all the way to England? Do they face alot of opposition in the other countries they pass through to get to England?

Perhaps they have friends or family already here. Perhaps they have some English as a second language and think their prospects will be better if they speak it?

Very interesting, I'd agree that this is 'Art' with a political motive. One thing I don't understand is why refugees from Syria venture all the way to England? Do they face alot of opposition in the other countries they pass through to get to England?
Refugees don’t just go the England, in fact the UK is 16th in Europe for asylum applications. Most go to Germany.

It's a question that has been answered many times on this forum. Also, Google is your friend.

Meanwhile, I can't recommend Daniel Trillings book about the refugee crisis highly enough:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1509815635/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

He's essentially a liberal, but I have the utmost respect for him cause he is consistent and principled in his liberalism. It's a marvellous, moving book that, tangentially, addresses your question.

Also:

O4ZhP7nk_jr3Ec6ybCipsT1QiBNjUkfLbZ2_hGZCrII.png

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks @Sue Pertwee-Tyr @ks.234 @droodzilla
I generally have little or no interest in politics or political threads, my attention was drawn to the thread and I only read the article as it mentioned Art and I have a little interest in Art.
I wasn't suggesting that Syrian refugees 'just go to England ' either @ks.234
I was just curious as to why they would pass through other countries which obviously the majority do not.

I didn't see anything in that Grauniad report that suggested it wasn't political. I imagine the organisers want to avoid it becoming party political lest people take sides, but the political intent is writ large in every movement, surely?

I don't disagree, however...

'The aim is to present an “artistic moment that creates compassion” rather than to score political points, artistic director Amir Nizar Zuabi says.'

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2021/oct/18/threatened-puppet-refugee-little-amals-epic-walk?

’The aim is to present an “artistic moment that creates compassion” rather than to score political points, artistic director Amir Nizar Zuabi says.'

Against the current political culture of demonising, scapegoating and even setting the way for drowning refugees a work that generates sympathy is as political as things get. It is a perspective fundamentally at odds with right-wing popularism. Making people think is exactly what good art does.

I don't disagree, however...

'The aim is to present an “artistic moment that creates compassion” rather than to score political points, artistic director Amir Nizar Zuabi says.'
I think that's what I mean by not getting party political. 'Scoring political points' rather implies you're scoring against an opponent.

Most go to Germany.

This isn't the first time this point has been made on this forum, but it is also a fact a fair number get deported as well. It is quite easy to find 'headline' figures as to which country takes in refugees but figures relating to how many remain seems to be much more difficult to determine. As far as I can tell Germany has deported as many as 45%? - https://www.dw.com/en/two-years-since-germany-opened-its-borders-to-refugees-a-chronology/a-40327634 - but this is old information.

Regards

Richard

Chancellor Merkel keeps famously close tabs on public opinion. When opinion was strongly pro-taking in refugees at the peak of the crisis, she opened the doors. As soon as public opinion turned against it, she slammed them shut again. Deportation of refused asylum-seekers does indeed run into fairly high figures.

I think that's what I mean by not getting party political. 'Scoring political points' rather implies you're scoring against an opponent.

Sure, but I didn't mention party political. I simply said that the people who organised this went to some lengths to point out that they weren't making a political statement. Nothing to do with political parties.

Surprised I had never heard of this until yesterday’s news. Apart from all the higher end stuff, what a remarkable logistical feat! And it seems it did actually walk a good deal of the way.
Amusing video of it being tested at Glastonbury in ‘21…

Sure, but I didn't mention party political. I simply said that the people who organised this went to some lengths to point out that they weren't making a political statement. Nothing to do with political parties.
I think your inference is mistaken. The statement you quoted was saying 'we're not out to score political points'. You inferred this as 'we're not making a political statement'. I think that's an incorrect inference, which is what I've been trying to explain to you.

At a fundamental level, pretty much all art, certainly all good art, is political in some degree. This is distinct from being 'party political'. Amal is no different.

advertisement

Back