advertisement

Listening Position

Jimmy Hughes used to I believe, you and your partner could sit either side of some dipoles as they kick out as much energy from the front as from the rear.
Keith

Jimmy Hughes used to I believe, you and your partner could sit either side of some dipoles as they kick out as much energy from the front as from the rear.
Keith

Actually, Keith, I remember that J.H. 'experiment' (if the same one) turning his H2s around to face a wall. I frequently listen to my Quads sitting on the sofa behind them. Yes, you lose a bit of imagery, but none of the music. J.H. had some weird and not so wonderful ideas, and I blew my NAIM 250 trying one. Luckily it was a much delayed slow-blow fuse which revived some hours later. Apologies to J.H. if it was some other magazine twat of the time. :)

It's amazing how good ESL 63s sound from behind. I'd imagine they'd be great in an open-plan living space placed at the mid-point between two rooms.

Hoovering, dancing round the room, or just ignoring them. Does them good and stops them from becoming too needy aparently (a bit of sensory deprivation).

BLoody ridiculous. Have you asked him why he thinks Hunan ears are designed in such a way?

This chap is a GP, so he has a better understanding than most of how human ears work. He knows very well that this layout is not ideal, but his listening room is used for other things too, which requires some compromise. He rearranges the furniture for critical listening sessions.

Usually I'm not just sitting near the speakers: I prefer to walk around, doing my daily tasks or just dancing.

My kitchen speakers are usually behind me when I'm cooking, and behind and to one side when I'm eating. They are active speakers run from a mini-DSP 2/4 so I measured them in situ from my listening position, and corrected them to give a 'flat' response at that point in the room. The response is remarkably similar to when measured from the conventional 'facing the speakers' position.
In my main system, the speakers sound really quite awful from most points in the room, but superb from the sofa, as they are electrostatic dipoles!

In my main system, the speakers sound really quite awful from most points in the room, but superb from the sofa, as they are electrostatic dipoles!

Or behind, as aforesaid somewhere here. You may lose the focus from behind, but the actual sound is more or less the same as from the front. I can lie on the sofa behind one of the speakers (2905s) and enjoy whatever it is that's playing. There must be some input from the other speaker, as stereo ambience is still there, You don't get that with speakers in boxes, of course.

Heartening to read that’s there so much dancing going on behind closed doors. Big up yourselves pfm Man Dem

Last edited:
I had my Videoton Minimax's on a shelf above my desk, about 18inches above ear level. They just didn't sound right. I now have them at ear level but very close to me about 3ft and they sound a lot better.

advertisement

Back