advertisement

Listener fatigue prevalent in headphones is it the same as with speakers?

Sonneteer

Trade: Sonneteer
On another thread we have been talking about our new gadget which we claim makes headphones sound like real loudspeakers. We have sold quite a few already (and thank you) and we have had quite a lot of feedback, nearly all positive, with some making a reference to an improved listener experience with regards fatigue. Some even said it eliminated it completely on their headsets.

So, in the case of headphones and buds, does the correction itself solve most of the issue? Baring in mind that it's not unusual to have listener fatigue with a pair of loudspeakers in front of you, how does this differ? Are they two sides of the same coin or not related at all?

Would this solution therefore work on an open air system that grates a little too?

https://www.sonneteer.com/product/the-bards-headspace/

I like Omni and semi omni speakers, or even heavily sloped baffles, because they are less fatiguing and create a greater sense of space, a bit like the Headspace. I’d say anything that affects perception of directionality could be beneficial in terms of reducing fatigue,

A good speaker set without harshness and good tonal balance is better than an omni directional one with an edgy treble and a poor bass for me.

I’ often amazed by small monitors with good electronics for their sense of space, just like if I wasn’t able to locate where the sound comes from.

Difficult to have that same feeling with a headset, even my previous Stax never gave me that sensation.

I've always found reducing digital noise, in however it can be done, reduces listening fatigue massively. For example, LPS's for digital devices, and whatever witchcraft the likes of Cardas do on their higher end cables. Since installing their Golden Cross range on my main system, I have no listening fatigue, its simply bliss.

On my portable setup, I use Bose headphones because of their warmer signature, and turn on the slow filters on my DAP, but its still not perfect but I am definitely interested in this headspace thingy.

I do use Bluetooth alot of the time though for ease, not great, but it does almost take away some digital harshness in its own right, but at a loss of detail.

Hi Thanks, yes the digital noise aspect one can appreciate. Is that a factor in modern day recordings? We are minded to produce a Headspace like device for digital media while listening through speakers. A Vinyliser so to speak. The principle would be not far from what we have already as pick up off an LP 'in error' indices similar characteristics. Could this be why Vinyl sound is so amiable compared to digital sources?

Hi Thanks, yes the digital noise aspect one can appreciate. Is that a factor in modern day recordings? We are minded to produce a Headspace like device for digital media while listening through speakers. A Vinyliser so to speak. The principle would be not far from what we have already as pick up off an LP 'in error' indices similar characteristics. Could this be why Vinyl sound is so amiable compared to digital sources?

I think digital noise can be an issue in the studio, I know a few of the engineers I work with have a few methods/devices to mitigate it, but overall they have a lot more 'toys' to reduce its effect on SQ than the average Hifi/DAP owner when mixing and mastering, so I think the issue is that its a factor in modern day PLAYBACK not recordings.

A vinyliser sounds interesting. Some people use a Valve buffer between their DAC's, I tried it once and it was very effective in creating a more natural sound. My opinion on vinyl being more amicable, is that it has its own resonance and harmonics (known to measurebators as 'distortion') but there is a similar resonance and distortion when instruments are played, especially together, so it in part vinyl recreates that similar thing, albeit indirectly and not accurately, but pleasurable because its 'something' closer to the sound of the natural instruments.

On another thread we have been talking about our new gadget which we claim makes headphones sound like real loudspeakers. We have sold quite a few already (and thank you) and we have had quite a lot of feedback, nearly all positive, with some making a reference to an improved listener experience with regards fatigue. Some even said it eliminated it completely on their headsets.

So, in the case of headphones and buds, does the correction itself solve most of the issue? Baring in mind that it's not unusual to have listener fatigue with a pair of loudspeakers in front of you, how does this differ? Are they two sides of the same coin or not related at all?

Would this solution therefore work on an open air system that grates a little too?

https://www.sonneteer.com/product/the-bards-headspace/

But isn't this just a crossfeed device that has been around on some headphone amplifiers for a long time?

The only really successful device i've experienced that provides true speaker/room simulation is the american made Smyth Realiser https://smyth-research.com/

Hi Eaton, yes and No. A few devices have a crossfeed built in. Oneday maybe all will. Who knows. But are they all the same? No. Some work ok, so not so. But you made the point. They are built in to some. Also most are lossy or they attenuate. The Bard's Headspace does not. we go back to origins of stereo and we work from there. Also it plugs into your headphones now and allows it to be used with phones DAPs, PCs laptops etc.

Oh and here's the thing: The Smyth is $3,995.00 The Bard's Headspace is £14.05 plus postage.

:)
Haider

Hi Emlin, It means we go back to the invention of stereo and the theory behind that. We stripped it down to the fundamentals and did the maths and then put it to real world tests.

Haider

To all the NY Feb Bar takers that passed - what is your admission status? I am second department, submitted my paperwork two weeks ago. Havent heard back yet.

Hi fundamentally our objective was to improve the look and the manufacturability and durability of it. It is also easier for some chunkier headphone connectors (though still 3.5mm) to push in to the socket. We have changed the internal damping a little too. As ever, always looking to improve. The electronics has not changed.

I hope this helps
haider

advertisement

Back