advertisement

Linton Kwesi Johnson

Coda II

getting there slowly
Caveat: "Some have criticised Johnson for making Caribbean culture palatable to a predominantly white left-wing audience, but such criticism is to be expected by any artist who transcends their genre." [Forces Of Victory Review, BBC 2007]

Given the current resonance of what LKJ was writing and recording in Britain in the 1970s and 80s I was curious to know if he is still writing now, which it seems he is not.
That said, there are a number of interview broadcasts still available on BBC sounds which serve as a reminder of the situations that led to what he was writing, a brief history lesson on the Windrush generation, and much else.
(And, I guess it is fair to say, are also revealing about the time in which they were recorded.)
2002 Desert Island Discs/Sue Lawley
2008 Dread, Beat an Blood/Benjamin Zephaniah
2018 Free Thinking/Philip Dodd

And of course, listen to Forces of Victory.

Bass Culture and Forces of Victory are still on regular rotation chez moi - have been for soooo long now, still relevant, LKJ's delivery soft, poignant and painful like a gently inserted knife.

I recall his appearance on The Old Grey Whistle Test during the Musicians' Union strike. Loved his stuff since then, and by sheer chance, two and a half years ago, he got on* a train I was travelling on and sat opposite me. I came over all fanboyish and spoke to him - even shook his hand! Star struck, I was!

Mick

*I was travelling to St Pancras on Thameslink and he got on at Herne Hill...

Don't just post the guy's name, especially in these times! FFS :(
Sorry about that.

Somewhat related is the new BBC Windrush drama going out this evening: Sitting in Limbo

He should've been made Poet Laureate.

There's a bit in the Free Thinking programme where they talk about his poetry needing to be spoken rather than existing purely on the page which made a lot of sense. And although being published by Penguin was a major thing I don't know that I would actually sit and read it as poetry. (Though not at all disagreeing with your original point btw.)

I interviewed LKJ twice in the Eighties and am a big fan. He was great to speak to and learn from.

Wolfmancatsup mentioned about meeting him on a train. I sat diagonally opposite LKJ on a packed London Tube carriage two years ago. We both looked at each other for 10 or so seconds, looked away, and then got off.

I wish I'd stuck out my hand. I didn't because I didn't know whether he would recognize me, given I now wear an eyepatch.

I've done this kind of thing with other people I've interviewed: Robert Wyatt on a balcony at The Royal Festival Hall. He didn't see me and when I turned back to speak to him he'd gone.

Then there was Flea from The Red Hot Chili Peppers at Shepherd's Bush Empire. Mind you I didn't realise it was him until later, when I read he was there. I just kept thinking why is that bloke smiling at me.

Jack

Not really my style of music but I always listened to the tracks John Peel played.
There was something about him I wanted to hear

advertisement

Back