advertisement

LinnT-cable Vrs AO cable

This is purely conjecture but; When Linn introduced the Lingo they used a similar circuit to that developed for the Axis. In this circuit the AC motor initially delivered quite high torque so that the platter mass could be overcome and running speed could be achieved quickly. Once running speed was achieved, the torque was significantly reduced so that the inertia of the rotating platter was the governing force rather than fighting for speed control with the motor. It seems likely that such a policy has been carried forward to the Radical. Indeed, the adoption of a DC motor could mean that the actual running torque is now lower than before. Whilst the LP12 platter is reasonably massy (as it is mostly Zink), it isn't really a high mass component and its inevitably slow rotation (33.3rpm) will inhibit it's effectiveness as a flywheel. I notice that more recent LP12 platters are lighter than they used to be - I suspect this is because Linn have adopted a slightly different grade of Zamak which contains slightly less Zink (a number of subtly different mixes are available). The advantage of this would be that the platter would be less prone to oxidisation (which many customers complain of).

I've got a very decent Analogue Productions one, very well centred centre hole, which is probably the most important thing for this. Just down the road in Sheffield.

Continuous tones don't produce varying stylus drag. A continuous note on a piano or synthesizer while other dynamic music comes and goes is a much better test of how well a turntable maintains pitch during real music.

To those not hearing the rising piano chord that I think I heard, have you compared with the CD or another good modern record player?

All it takes is the most basic computer with a sound card(mic input), a cable to plug into your tape output and free software like Audacity. Surely you have pc if you can post to this forum?

I'll give that a try. Does anybody know how I get a line out from a Klimax Kontrol? (I've only had it a couple of weeks and I only use one source.)

I'll give that a try. Does anybody know how I get a line out from a Klimax Kontrol? (I've only had it a couple of weeks and I only use one source.)

Here's a copy of the owner's manual:

http://www.linn.co.uk/files/76be037f/Kli_kontr_ENGLISH_owner_manl_rev1.pdf

Doesn't look like it has a tape output. I've always used tape outputs to recording devices. I don't know how well plugging the output of the phono amp directly into the computer would work but perhaps someone else can advise.

I'll just use the phono stage output. But the powerbook's sound in is labelled with a microphone. Doesn't that mean that the phono stage will overload it just as it did with the Zoom H4n?

Phono stage output should be fine - that's a line-level output.
I believe that the mic symbol on the Mac is just a symbol for 'audio in' and that it's balanced for line level inputs. There's also an input level adjustment in the Sound Control Panel.

I'd advise just trying it anyway. You can't damage anything by doing so.

Well I made a before/after recording so that I could compare the two various tonearm cable dressing techniques and I'm not hearing a noticeable difference between the two. Maybe a better set of ears might be able to detect a slight difference. If anyone cares to listen to the files for themselves, let me know and I will make them available.

I will certainly be disappointed if the new AO cable yields the same results though from the feedback I've gotten, I'm not expecting that to be the case. I plan to make after recordings once the AO cable is in so we'll see.

Sonddek.

I'm in York.

Those who have been to my house know it's fun first, politics second.

I would like your opinion on my Radikal LP12s ability to do pitch.

Andrew

Maybe sonddek can bring along his turntable and some of his records as well.

Andrew can make recordings from both turntables and we can get to the bottom of this conjecture.

I like 'or joe', but a trip from London to York with turntable is unlikely to happen right now. What's more likely is that within a month or two I will have my Sondek (Lingo) and Technics side-by-side, and will record them. I won't be forking out for a Radikal either.

I travel to London every week. Happy to bring my deck to yours.

Awesome! Let's do it. I'll PM you my details.

I've finally managed to plug my phono stage output into my macbook, and used audacity for the first time, which seems to work well, although I've got a channel imbalance which isn't there when I listen to the vinyl direct. I've just put a file at the address below, but please only hit it if you're really really interested as it's served via my broadband connection. If you like it, buy the album, or more importantly go to their gig - I believe in rewarding musicians, not fat cat record industry parasites.

[url removed to save my server]

BTW it's 96k 32 bit. If you want to upload the file to one of the usual upload/download sites temporarily for the sake of this thread, please do, and then I can relieve my broadband connection.

My deck probably isn't optimally set up as I did it myself with limited tools. It is also destined to undergo several affordable upgrades in the next few months.

Sorry for going far off-topic.

Anyone had time to compare American Pie on the CD to a Radikal Sondek yet? I'm interested to know if anyone can hear the subtle rise in pitch of that piano note during and after the first 'died'.

Makeshift Linn jig, ready for surgery, come on Royal Mail!!!

hpim5913.jpg

Your item, posted on 08/12/10 with reference ************** has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Does this tracking message mean it's out of country and in the US? :confused:

Anyone had time to compare American Pie on the CD to a Radikal Sondek yet? I'm interested to know if anyone can hear the subtle rise in pitch of that piano note during and after the first 'died'.

I've just started a new thread here which explores this specific topic.

Andrew

advertisement

Back