advertisement

Linn vs. Naim

... I think my point is that Linn concentrate harder on "musicality" and less on "impressive sound" than Naim.

Define "musicality" (mention the Tune Dem and I will find you and kill you - joke) and then tell us where in Linn equipment the "musicality" circuits reside; then define "impressive sound" and tell us where in naim equipment the "impressive sound" circuits reside.

I guess I just don't understand the obsession about PRAT at the expense of everything else and the bollocks about it being a "musical" quality and somehow more fundamental. Frankly, I see it as a marketing scam, a virtue dreamt up to excuse poor reproduction in other areas.

I used Kans for 25 years. They have no deep bass, yet they can make bass notes sound fast and tuneful. They are very coloured, yet they can let you hear an orchestra play its heart out. Or not do so. They fail about every round earth test but they can make very satisfying music by faithfully reproducing tunes and rhythms. The Kan is a very old design now, but it still demonstrates that good timing and resolution of tunes is enough to make satisfying music, not just a marketing stunt.

Define "musicality" (mention the Tune Dem and I will find you and kill you - joke)

Define "joke".

... and then tell us where in Linn equipment the "musicality" circuits reside; then define "impressive sound" and tell us where in naim equipment the "impressive sound" circuits reside.

Define "circuit", define "reside" etc.

You are making what Gilbert Ryle called a 'category error'.

I used Kans for 25 years. They have no deep bass, yet they can make bass notes sound fast and tuneful. They are very coloured, yet they can let you hear an orchestra play its heart out. Or not do so. They fail about every round earth test but they can make very satisfying music by faithfully reproducing tunes and rhythms. The Kan is a very old design now, but it still demonstrates that good timing and resolution of tunes is enough to make satisfying music, not just a marketing stunt.

What's "tuneful"? How exactly do you reproduce a "tune or rhythm"? What exactly stops other equipment from doing so?

Frankly, I can't help thinking these description are cobblers.

I think you need to qualify "good timing and resolution of tunes is enough to make satisfying music" as for you. It may be enough for you, but frankly, if a system can't reproduce tonal colour or dynamics, then it cannot reproduce satisfying music for me. I want more than a beat. Perhaps my standards are just higher.

;)

What's "tuneful"? How exactly do you reproduce a "tune or rhythm"?

Now I see why timbre matters so much to you.

Frankly, I can't help thinking these description are cobblers.

If you can't tell what is and isn't tuneful, I'm not surprised. All discussion of music must sound like cobblers to you.

I think you need to qualify "good timing and resolution of tunes is enough to make satisfying music" as for you. It may be enough for you...

So you didn't enjoy the video of the family playing the Dr Who theme on drainpipes then? I guess if timbre is crucial, you wouldn't. Seems a shame though.

See, we can both play the game of pretending not to understand.

so who makes the best kit for machines to listen to? that must sound soooooo good since it's proven on paper!!! i mean, who better to tell us what we will like than what a machine digs up, don't even have to have your own preference, doesn't get any easier than that...

if you have heard the piece of music before your brain will help you improve it....
if you had never heard the doctor who theme and you heard it first on the drainpipes you'd think 'meh'!

if i play some of my own recordings of bass players and drummers i know through kans i get so much low bass harmonic distortion i get doubling effects....they are not a hi fi speaker even if they are as much fun as a roberts radio....it's not hi fi.

Come on chaps the Naim folk a really really nice people and would help anybody, give them another chance. They are always fair on there opinions they never run anybody down or cheat them and always have a open mind.

colin, when the linn rep used to bring round the intek ( a horrid amp ) he always used to run down your claymore amp and the nait and cyrus's....

colin, when the linn rep used to bring round the intek ( a horrid amp ) he always used to run down your claymore amp and the nait and cyrus's....

Er, Darryl,

That is what ALL reps are paid to do. There job is not to give an unbiased assessment of all the kit their employers latest wunderkind is competing against. Their job is to sell kit.

Chris

Mescalito, good to see you've never worked as a sales rep. I know no successful rep who sells like that, it's just a put off.

advertisement

Back