advertisement

Linn vs. Naim

The Naim ethos does lead to higher product turnover for customers, and it will ultimately always lead to dissatisfaction, even when you have the 555, etc you can't just magically turn the upgrade bug off, even though there is no further to go in the Naim range.

At the same time though i suspect Linn are ultimately just as dissatisfying- but that's because they sound crap ;-)

I don't see why the 'upgrade bug' is associated with any particular manufacturer (other than some have larger product ranges than others) - the 'bug' isn't created by the manufacturer, it lies within the mind of the customer - people don't start off with a Punto and keep buying till they own a Ferrari! Of course some people feel compelled to buy every new thing that comes along (and will never be happy), I don't see why this is the fault of the manufacturers though.

A friend of mine has had a Naim Nait for approx 20 years - he seems to have avoided Naim's implanted upgrade path somehow.

These days, do not Linn and Naim appeal to different customer bases for a broad range of their product?

Afternoon kids.

I can help noticing that on the respective forums Naim folk post more, argue more, moan more and box swap or upgrade more, (or talk about upgrades). The linn forum however seems to be a much calmer place. Yes there is the occasionsl whinge but in the main people seem stable, content and not so afflicted with upgradeitis.

Now this could be for many reasons of course ... Anyone care to offer some of those up ?

Linn owners are smug, risk-averse, stick-in-the-muds?

I don't see why the 'upgrade bug' is associated with any particular manufacturer (other than some have larger product ranges than others) - the 'bug' isn't created by the manufacturer, it lies within the mind of the customer - people don't start off with a Punto and keep buying till they own a Ferrari! Of course some people feel compelled to buy every new thing that comes along (and will never be happy), I don't see why this is the fault of the manufacturers though.

A friend of mine has had a Naim Nait for approx 20 years - he seems to have avoided Naim's implanted upgrade path somehow.

The association is historic.
Both manufacturers relied heavily on dealers to push home the constant upgrade message, far more so than for other manufacturers in the uk.
Less of an issue these days, but people remember.

It also depends what is being upgraded.
NAT01 was better than NAT02, 52/250 was better than a Nait, mostly because of power and MC capability, and the CD players got a little better when you jumped from base camp to the top of the tree. The older speakers also got better as you moved up the line.
In this regard the upgrade path was/is little different to any other manufacturer.

My only real concern with them has been over power supplies and the whole PSU upgrade silliness. But that's a slightly different argument.

Given the OP on a constant and never ending upgrade path, involving many of the top brands it is a bit weird to pin it all on Linn VS Naim.

Many of us own such gear and dont feel the constant need to upgrade as the OP does.

How many system changes in the past year Rich? And now you are starting again!

Only one system that properly worked ... Just took me some time to get there and i came to the market with some erroneous preconveived ideas which sent me down the wrong routes.

P.s. That system was wta, l300 hx1.2' obelisk

Only one system that properly worked ... Just took me some time to get there and i came to the market with some erroneous preconveived ideas which sent me down the wrong routes.

P.s. That system was wta, l300 hx1.2' obelisk

Thats not entirely honest though is it. You had lots of different combinations along the way including 2 LP12 running at the same time!, all of which were the best thing since sliced bread ... until your next purchase. And your ultimate system lasted no longer than a few months before you got rid of it... and now you want to buy back in...

Does this not seem strange to you?

My favourite is a Ziegler (Pakistan) but I lost my heart to an antique Afghan family tree baby that fades along the length as it took well over a year to make. ( Mind I love the little prayer job from Jeddah airport which has a compass attatched!)

Yes, and the cat loves it - cats are about the best judge of quality rugs. You should really take a cat with you when shopping for rugs.

They tend to run away when you take them away from their home territory.

My favourite is a Ziegler (Pakistan) but I lost my heart to an antique Afghan family tree babe that fades along the length as it took well over a year to make. ( Mind I love the little prayer job from Jeddah which has a compass attatched!)

wrong thread maybe??

advertisement

Back