advertisement

Linn vs. Naim

LOTUS HIFI

LOTUS Hifi
Afternoon kids.

I can help noticing that on the respective forums Naim folk post more, argue more, moan more and box swap or upgrade more, (or talk about upgrades). The linn forum however seems to be a much calmer place. Yes there is the occasionsl whinge but in the main people seem stable, content and not so afflicted with upgradeitis.

Now this could be for many reasons of course ... Anyone care to offer some of those up ?

The Naim business model is built on a structured "upgrade path", it's designed to get you coming back to the shop for "the next step up" and therefore fosters the view that however good your hifi is there is always "the next step", so it's never quite as good as it possibly could be.

The problem could probably be traced to a genetic defect in Naim owners. We're probably inferior humans who should be euthanized.

Lotus, does this mean you're back on the hifi trail again?

Hiya mate, hopefully will be soon. My obs2 havent sold so i still have them and will work backwards. It will be most fun doing it all again and of course sharing my journey and findings with all of you great people here. I will get the digital side worked out first though. I have learnt that i have to have computer music as my lifestyle dictates it over cd or tt. That said i will still get a tt for special occasions.

Lotus - Do you think Naim owners be more content if they sold all their Naim gear and bought Linn kit? ^^.

Lotus,

Start with a nice rug, then build the system around it.

Rug first as they say on the rug forum.

Joe

Hiya mate, hopefully will be soon. My obs2 havent sold so i still have them and will work backwards. It will be most fun doing it all again and of course sharing my journey and findings with all of you great people here. I will get the digital side worked out first though. I have learnt that i have to have computer music as my lifestyle dictates it over cd or tt. That said i will still get a tt for special occasions.

excellent, I'm sure you'll keep us all informed :D.

Eh, what's happening? Have I taken my eye off the ball for 5 minutes and had Lotus go out and buy another pile of stuff? Last I heard Dynavector was where it was at, the WTA was streets ahead of the LP12, the Naim gear was all going, and only about 5 minutes before all the man wanted was a load of Naim olive and an 80s LP12. Now it has to be computer audio, it seems.

Lotus, do you keep anything for longer than it takes to play an album?

Yours, struggling to keep up.

Nice rug, Cesare.

Does it really tie the room together?

Joe

Lotus - Do you think Naim owners be more content if they sold all their Naim gear and bought Linn kit? ^^.

No idea. What do you think ? As steve rightly says the naim range is built around a complex upgrade structure so maybe some of them would. But then the Linn house sound is quite different so perhaps they wouldn't.

Guys IIRC, lotus had an investment in property which took priority over hifi, which to me, is totally understandable. Now he's back on the lookout again but this time wants a system that will and more accessible in everyday use but still wants to play with vinyl when time allows.

Personally, i think he needs to try some ADAM Audio Actives :D IF you're still playing in the same price brackets Lotus, then try the Tensor Betas. All you'll need is KDS and a NAS. Job done :)

Eh, what's happening? Have I taken my eye off the ball for 5 minutes and had Lotus go out and buy another pile of stuff? Last I heard Dynavector was where it was at, the WTA was streets ahead of the LP12, the Naim gear was all going, and only about 5 minutes before all the man wanted was a load of Naim olive and an 80s LP12. Now it has to be computer audio, it seems.

Lotus, do you keep anything for longer than it takes to play an album?

Yours, struggling to keep up.

Could well go back to DV and WTA steve.

The word 'upgrade' has become a marketing and lifestyle improvement term, suggesting that what we now have is inferior. On one hand I can understand the statement that Naim have a business plan and range of products to draw you into the 'upgrade' path but it's equally fair to say that they simply have an expansive range of products for you to choose from. There's no difference between me upgrading Naim for more Naim kit and upgrading via another manufacturer. Upgrades (if we accept 'upgrade=better') cost money. Having had a Nait for 22 years and recently bought a new XS I'm very happy. I can't see any upgrades on the far horizon.

Afternoon kids.

I can help noticing that on the respective forums Naim folk post more, argue more, moan more and box swap or upgrade more, (or talk about upgrades). The linn forum however seems to be a much calmer place. Yes there is the occasionsl whinge but in the main people seem stable, content and not so afflicted with upgradeitis.

Now this could be for many reasons of course ... Anyone care to offer some of those up ?

This coming from the king of the box-swappers! what you on now Rich?

:)

advertisement

Back