advertisement

Linn Sondek LP12 : Purpose built, or not and to what Spec ?

Same as mine!

I believe the three nub sub platter is superior to the brass ring one.

1 Fit a DIY Norton Airpower transformer power supply or a" Geddon" clone, though I prefer the Airpower.

2. Strengthen the very weak portion of the sub-chassis which the mdf arm-board mounts to with the diddy wood screws. With regard to this you could bond on small section aluminium triangular section or box section tubing as an experiment. I'd use 3M /Scotch VHB double coated tape.. If you don't like what it does it may be carefully removed with hair dryer.

3. Try using different materials for the arm board. I'd use aluminium in a thickness to suit your Rega. Or possibly use SRPB/Tufnol which I also like for small diameter arm-boards.

4. Experiment with plinth feet, eg oak cones 3 instead of 4.

Above all have fun experimenting and learning!

I think the brass ring version was a later and better version.

Interesting. I would have put the tone arm above the power supply, probably the cartridge too. And set-up should be high on the list too.
A Lingo 1 with an Ittok was much better than a Valhalla with an Ekos, I had all the demos at the time. The same Ittok is still with me over 30 years later but with virtually every part of the deck upgraded.

Save yourself grief & money and buy some thing that won't cost a fortune to iron out/upgrade the faults.

void the void runs a Mantra, not a Void?

1. Bearing
2. Power Supply
3. Subchassis
4. Top plate
5. Plinth
6. Tone Arm
7. Cartridge

A Lingo 1 with an Ittok was much better than a Valhalla with an Ekos, I had all the demos at the time. The same Ittok is still with me over 30 years later but with virtually every part of the deck upgraded.
I had a Lingo installed in early 90s, along with a circus and disliked them both. Tread carefully and listen.

A Lingo 1 with an Ittok was much better than a Valhalla with an Ekos..

Yes, I believe that but it's as much a reflection on the arms as the power supplies. The Ekos is basically a refined Ittok. Nothing wrong with that of course but the point is that it's very similar sounding and not a huge jump in performance. The result might well be different with an Aro, PU7 etc.

I had an Ittok with a Vallhala, Norton and Avondale Taps. The later two are better than the Lingo1 in my opinion, the Norton especially. I now have an RB3000 with a Magik psu and it's better by a big margin. I expected the Magik to be a stop-gap but I'm struggling to justify changing it, I really like the way it sounds.

I had a Lingo installed in early 90s, along with a circus and disliked them both. Tread carefully and listen.
Me too, although I later discovered that I liked the Lingo 1 and it was just the Cirkus that wasn't for me. So good advise to do one step at a time.

I now enjoy Vahalla/Ittok/VM95 and Ekos/Lingo/Adikt decks equally. If I had to generalise, I'd say the former suits 70s music slightly better and the latter suits 80s music slightly more, but they have different musical strengths to my ears. If your priority is cleaner/clearer HiFi then obviously the Ekos/Lingo is better.

I think the brass ring version was a later and better version.

I think you are correct Paul, the ring version was a later update. But I also feel the jury is out on which is preferred - much like LP12 bearings!

The deck I’m borrowing has a Karousel/Lingo 4 with an Adikt cart - is it based on an existing Goldring or a Linn special? Trying to work out what is a close match to put on my other decks so it’s a reasonably fair fight.

void the void runs a Mantra, not a Void?

Oh dear, you are awful & very tiresome Mr E! Please show some respect to Guy Adams at least by getting the name of his creation correct! Anyhow....

I actually run many classic turntables. The Voyd is a favourite TT from my collection but I run other manufacturers TT"s too. I change them around every month or so to keep them all in good order. I have two LP12's, a Cirkus & a pre Cirkus. I do like them!

A Linn Systemdek hydrid with pre Cirkus LP12 bearing & sub platter, Axis outer platter, with Systemdek sub-chassis and suspension. This is a better performer than any LP12 I've had. I assume you'll respond long the lines "but a top line LP12 is far better." Well I don't actually care if you think it's the best TT ever, I will not outlay these asking prices on any TT and if ever I did, Linn would be the last to get my hard earned.

I've also got the Mantra; black plinth, green switch. It's actually a Sapele/mahogany veneer sprayed satin black as was the fashion in the 80's. I may strip it back one day?

I'm currently working on transplanting another Mantra's running gear into another fluted afro LP12 plinth. I'm confident this will be a great performer too. It will be powered like my Linn Systemdek, with a Norton Airpower.
Two Rega's.
Also two classic Techy's.
Finally a classic Lenco L75 and another mongrel, (in stasis right now) but will be completed soon.

I like variety and could not just pray at the alter of Linn, I cast off that baggage decades ago. Other's views will differ of course, that's why there's always lively discussion!

Oh dear, you are awful & very tiresome Mr E! Please show some respect to Guy Adams at least by getting the name of his creation correct! Anyhow....

I actually run many classic turntables. The Voyd is a favourite TT from my collection but I run other manufacturers TT"s too. I change them around every month or so to keep them all in good order. I have two LP12's, a Cirkus & a pre Cirkus. I do like them!

A Linn Systemdek hydrid with pre Cirkus LP12 bearing & sub platter, Axis outer platter, with Systemdek sub-chassis and suspension. This is a better performer than any LP12 I've had. I assume you'll respond long the lines "but a top line LP12 is far better." Well I don't actually care if you think it's the best TT ever, I will not outlay these asking prices on any TT and if ever I did, Linn would be the last to get my hard earned.

I've also got the Mantra; black plinth, green switch. It's actually a Sapele/mahogany veneer sprayed satin black as was the fashion in the 80's. I may strip it back one day?

I'm currently working on transplanting another Mantra's running gear into another fluted afro LP12 plinth. I'm confident this will be a great performer too. It will be powered like my Linn Systemdek, with a Norton Airpower.
Two Rega's.
Also two classic Techy's.
Finally a classic Lenco L75 and another mongrel, (in stasis right now) but will be completed soon.

I like variety and could not just pray at the alter of Linn, I cast off that baggage decades ago. Other's views will differ of course, that's why there's always lively discussion!

It was a simple and given your username, fairly obvious question, no desire to be awful and tiresome.

J7 once told me that plain technically my early Ekos I had him refurb at the time and a late Ittok are basicly ~ the same thing, or in other words you cannot (or very hardly) tell them apart by listening.
So taking that in account your statement basicly says that a Lingo1 is better than a Valhalla.
Which is for the most part regarded as an accepted fact.

And while I like the results with my Lingo1 and also the Cirkus for my way of listening,
I know those two take the LP12 into a different direction than pre-Cirkus and other power supplys.
And there's no law regarding in which flavour anyone wants his LP12 to sound like.

Also I have my problems with those lists as they appear too generalised and undifferenciated to me.
It pretty much depends on where you already are, where you want to go & -if at all -how much you are prepared to spend.

If you had money to spare to buy a basic LP12 in the 80s and you went by the list when the Cirkus came out,
you would have gotten a Cirkus kit then.
(the rest being a Linn Basik and a K5 or AT95E, Valhalla for example)

If the next time you happen to have money to spend for the LP12 is right now,
you'd go by the list and would consequently replace the Cirkus by a Karousel now.
All else being the same..

I'm not sure that's a great idea..
In my opinion it makes sense to have some reference point in form of a deck that has excellent vfm & beats most average LP12s in standard form, a Well Tempered for example.
So I note down the cost of a WT mentally, bc imo if you exceed the cost of a WT but are not coming even close to it's sq, you're basicly doing something wrong. From plain vfm pov, as there is no real 'wrong' in what you like.

It's not in any way forbidden to spend however much anyone likes, noor do you have to buy a WT,
it's just a mental construct that helps me staying on what I consider the sane side of spending money on the LP12.

J7 once told me that plain technically my early Ekos I had him refurb at the time and a late Ittok are basicly ~ the same thing, or in other words you cannot (or very hardly) tell them apart by listening.
I was there at at the time that these products were launched and the Ekos was quite noticeably better than the Ittok, it didn't make the Ittok sound broken though. The Lingo 1 did make the Valhalla sound broken though and I bought it as sound as it was available.

I bought my LP12 in the late 80's and did the Lingo and Cirkus upgrades, these stayed with me until the last year or two when I did the Karousel, Kore, Lingo 4 and Krystal over a two year period.
I don't need references as I just play music; I don't do record deck analysis. If is sounds better that's all that matters.

If a WT was that good everybody would have one. They are cheaply made with a high price - and look Heath Robinson. Awful things!

The deck I’m borrowing has a Karousel/Lingo 4 with an Adikt cart - is it based on an existing Goldring or a Linn special? Trying to work out what is a close match to put on my other decks so it’s a reasonably fair fight.

A Goldring 1012GX according to some thread I was following lately.
Craig had the details if I remember correctly..
Both have a Gyger II , the 1012GX is ~400€ now, the Adikt ~700€.

advertisement

Back