advertisement

Linn Sara to EPOS ES14s - An insight

I've got some early flat fronted units that I've had since new. Great base and shrill trebble. I now prefer Neat 4i's. How do these very early Saras rate?
Cheers Muzz

I have some SARAs boxed up in a loft. Rounded fronts, white dustcaps, horizontal XLR. Obviously the best vintage...

I ought to give them away sometime.

Paul

Paul, I know you are joking but I would be very interested to try a pair of Saras in my system; ideally before buying a pair.

If anyone not too far from Bristol could let me try a pair out I would be beyond thrilled. I would of course collect and return the speakers leaving one of my kidneys as a deposit.

I'm not really joking. They've been sitting in their boxes since 1995. Unfortunately the stands vanished in a house move. The last time I looked at them the fronts looked like,

FrontBare.JPG

the cone treatment is suffering a bit, but probably not an issue.

They still have their grilles,

FrontGrille.JPG

I expect they still work and really ought to get a good home. I'd be reluctant to ship them since while they have the original LP12 sized boxes and internal packing the cardboard is now 30 odd years old.

The photos are now 5 years old. Time just flies.

(Bit of an on-topic thread crap this, never mind...)

Paul

Quoting from another source - "The original tweeter was indeed the Scanspeak D2008 model but the new model available these days bearing the same name has been updated with a different dome material (a woven fabric of some sort) and features ferrofluid cooling and damping of the voice coil. These modern versions also have much high power handling abilities (150W RMS) compared to the originals (about 80W) but are otherwise identical in size and fitting".

the d2008 was always available with/without ferrofluid to aid power dissipation.

there are camps either way as to which sounds better.

that tweeter was always the same construction with a doped fabric dome. When linn first commissioned the hyquaphon to replace it , it was largely a cost cutting exercise but oscar being oscar produced a much better tweeter anyway.

were there any crossover changes to incorporate the hyquaphon though?

the d2008 was always available with/without ferrofluid to aid power dissipation. There are camps either way as to which sounds better.

Ah yes - but which were used in the Sara? My info indicaates it was the lower powered version without ferrofluid and some are arguing the uprated one is better as a replacement for either the earlier Scanspeak or the Hiquphon!

Were they glued in originally?

I remember once getting Billy Vee to replace some Kan 2 tweeters and they had to be prised out.

Don't forget the sensitivity difference between the two Hiquphon-built Linn tweeters.

Also between any otherwise identical tweeter with/without ferrofluid. The fluid versions will be typically 1-2dB lower sensitivity over at least part of the range.
If there's an L-pad on the crossover it could probably be tweaked to compensate without much hassle.

advertisement

Back