advertisement

Linn Sara to EPOS ES14s - An insight

flatpopely

Prog Rock/Moderator
As you may or may not be aware I recently visited YNWOANs house for a good old listening/eating/drinking/chatting session, a right good night it was too!

You may also be aware that I have (had) Linn Saras. I bought these from DV. They are mint and I have enjoyed these speakers ever since they became part of my system some 3 years ago (ish).

Many people have heard my system and the vast majority think it sounds great; however most of them struggle with the Saras! I have always thought them pretty much 100% spot on for me and my listening taste, Prog Rock.

My visit to Marks house and the listening sessions made me re-evaluate my thinking, here are the sequence of events that led to the Saras being replaced by EPOS ES14s.

At Marks house we listened to some familiar records, Pink Floyd and Dead can Dance. I find Marks system one of the few that I have heard that actually betters mine substantially. I am not dick waving here, I like what my system does and it plays to the strengths that I want. So it should, I have built it up over years to sound good to me. I want power, detail and fun. The Saras delivered these in spades, with knobs on!
Marks system did these things but in a less coloured way. I mistook this for lack of the things I require. However we played around with PSUs for Marks phono stage and I found myself drawn into Marks way of thinking about what makes a system great. Basically Mark wants it all!!!!!!

Then we went to the pub.

Upon our return the Belgium beer (La Choufe) was opened and we settled down to listening session #2. At this point I had a revelation. Playing ‘Oman’ from Towards the Within by Dead can Dance I ‘got’ Marks system/viewpoint. In this VERY complex track there are lots of different percussive elements, one of them is the maracas. They start almost at the beginning of the track at double the beat. As things get busy, and they really do, you can hear the maracas perfectly all the time. Now this doesn’t sound that special but I ask you, on your system can you hear quiet sounds all the way through a track as it gets louder? Normally they disappear or at best become audible but indistinct. Not on Marks system. You can pick ANY part of a track and follow it easily. This ability to produce macro and micro dynamics faithfully is akin to what the Radikal did for my LP12.
Soundstage was also massive compared to my system. The live recording of Oman actually had the information contained in it to give you an idea of the size of the venue, Marks system reproduced that.

We listened until about 2:00am at which point we went downstairs to drink and chat some more. I told Mark about my ‘revelation’. I declared my system 60% as good as Marks.

The next morning before/during and after a wonderful breakfast cooked by my host Mark, I used his new ‘netbook’ pc to eBay for some ES14s, I wanted some. There were none with the ‘phase plug’ drivers available. However, salvation was at hand. Mark had bought a pair of walnut ES14s for the drivers as one of his drivers had developed a small fault. I asked if I could borrow the ES14s to try in my house just to get a feel for their compatibility with my room/HiFi. Mark very kindly agreed to lend them to me.

I arrived home and got the speakers past the boss without arousing suspicion, result. I then gave them a good looking over. The cabinets are as ‘mint’ as something that is 15 years old can be. The drivers also looked in stunning condition. I was starting to get very excited because were I to like what they did in my system I had the exact pair I would want. I connected them up and placed them on my Sara stands.

There was a problem. Mark knew that one of the drivers had a slight fault but that’s not what I found. The right hand speaker ‘cracked’ at medium+ volumes, a big fault.
I persevered at low volumes.

Immediately I heard detail and soundstage I had not heard before. Never before had I been able to talk about the front to back depth of a record, now it was there in spades. Stereo width and precision was hugely improved. The overall sound was like listening with a cloth over your speakers (Saras) and then lifting the cloth away (ES14s). Every part of the sound was improved. I needed to hear these things loud…. The search for some ES14s started.

I rather, very, cheekily told Mark I wanted his ES14s. OK he said as long I as I get some black ones with my drivers in them. I searched pfm and found a pair with stands for £200. A deal was struck and I was getting really, really excited. I arranged to pick them up but at the last minute I could not get down to London, bugger. However the seller agreed to take out the drivers and send them to me. In the mean time I sourced a second set of ‘near mint; ES14s. Actually I had just bought the first pair when a PM appeared in my inbox offering me a pair of ES14s in black with stands. I agreed to buy them.

At 3 o’clock today our courier arrived and as well as picking up our consignment he dropped of my drivers……drove home and fitted a MINT ES14 bass/mid to replace the ‘cracking’ one. I listened.

I listened LOUD. I am awestruck.

The ES14s do so much more than the Saras I am struggling to know where to start. So in no particular order and without reference to a particular track; this is what I found.
The soundstage on the ES14s exists, on the Saras it’s only hinted at. I had some fun for ten minutes pointing at, with my eyes closed, instruments in the extremes of the stereo mix. I found myself pointing outside of the space between the speakers.
I heard a front to back depth that gave an impression of the room the instruments had been recorded in. I know this can be false in the recording but the ES14s were reproducing the fake accurately.
Midrange was truly inspired. It is ruthless in its accuracy. Poor recordings sound poor, its 100% transparent. This means that tiny, tiny inflections in vocals are reproduced even when the vocalist is singing loud. This see through nature and that total lack of colouration means you hear music as it is on the record. It’s not an easy trick and I now realise that not many speakers (if any) actually have this 100% like the ES14s.
Bass is supposed to be the one ‘weak’ area of the ES14s. I used them about 1’ from the rear wall, toed in, with bungs in place. Bass is not an issue. It’s fast tight, extended and in time with the rest of the music. Bungs out, it plods.

So you may gather that I am like them, I do. There are lost of reasons that they sound good but consider this as just one of them. When I took the old driver out I noticed that the basket is cast for EPOS with Made in England on it. This is not an off the shelf driver. The tweeter and bass/mid integrate perfectly. The bass/mid connects directly to the amp; it’s to all intents and purpose active. The tweeter just has one capacitor inline to protect it from low frequencies. I suspect that the cap works below the natural roll of the tweeter and therefore the two drive units integrate without any kind of crossover. That is a neat engineering trick.

I also think that my NAIM/LP12 system is the perfect match for them as Robin Marshall voiced the EPOSES14s using a NAP250. I now believe my system 80% as good as Marks!

EPOS ES14, A true giant in the hi-fi world.

This was not so much of a review as an insight into my recent hi-fi revelation.

Welcome to the club of EPOS 14 huggers. I found that the 14s were as happy in a small room as in a large one, the only difference was for a small room the bungs were in and out for the larger room. I ran a pair in a 24'x18'x12' room, out from the back wall by about 5' or so, side wall by about the same, on the end of a NAP160; very impressive speakers.

They are a giant of the hi-fi world.

Some people note that the tweeter can be spitty, but I never noticed.

One thing you may want to look at is replacing the capacitor inline with the tweeter.

ES14Oldcap.png

A decent film cap is an improvement.

Welcome to the club of EPOS 14 huggers. I found that the 14s were as happy in a small room as in a large one, the only difference was for a small room the bungs were in and out for the larger room.

They are a giant of the hi-fi world.

Sound people note that the tweeter can be spitty, but I never noticed.

One thing you may want to look at is replacing the capacitor inline with the tweeter.

ES14Oldcap.png

A decent film cap is an improvement.

Mundorf Supreme Oil is already here! Just going to wait a week so that I hear the difference.

Glad you like them Andrew.

They were far too cheap when first introduced and I'm sure that stopped some people from taking them seriously.

Don't worry too much about the amplifier matching.
I spoke with Robin once about amp matching in the late 80s and he said the words 'Audiolab 8000A and Cyrus 2 sound great with my speakers' - so yes he used Naim when designing but he definitely wasn't of the view that such a match was important, contrary to reporting in the press at the time.
When I had my pair a friend also ran a pair with an ever changing stream of old MF amplifiers. Still sounded excellent though I had to admit that through gritted teeth, what with being a paid-up Linn/Naim evangelist at the time ;)

I hope you enjoy them, I've lived with my Mk11 pair since 1987 apart from changing the capacitors to the tweeters they still sound very good and I've still not found any other speaker that I could live with.

The ES14 bass unit is repairable I've had both mine realigned and the vinyl suspension bonded back on after my daughter manage to peel them off.

They were repair by Richard Allan speaker company in Yorkshire.

Magnum Group
Wakefield House
84, Wakefield Road
Brighouse
West Yorkshire
HD6 1QL .

Happy listening.

Sharif

I hope you enjoy them, I've lived with my Mk11 pair since 1987 apart from changing the capacitors to the tweeters they still sound very good and I've still not found any other speaker that I could live with.

The ES14 bass unit is repairable I've had both mine realigned and the vinyl suspension bonded back on after my daughter manage to peel them off.

They were repair by Richard Allan speaker company in Yorkshire.

Magnum Group
Wakefield House
84, Wakefield Road
Brighouse
West Yorkshire
HD6 1QL .

Happy listening.

Sharif

Thanks Sharif.

I will contact them as I have one driver that needs repairing and Brighouse is close to me.

Regards

Andrew.

There are a host of ES14 mods that can be done - I believe that Andrew intends to ease his way gently :)

I must admit that I was somewhat taken aback by the strength of feeling Andrew expressed after his evenings listening at my house; however, in essence, I agree :).

I bought my ES14's many years ago and drove them briefly with a Nap140, then a 250 and then 135's (which drive them now). Even back then I was building my own turntables and I wanted a pair of speakers that would be an open window to the source - little did I realise how true that would prove to be. Over the years I have occasionally been tempted to allocate specific weaknesses to my old speakers - every time I have found the apparent characteristic to actually be remedied by improvements to the source or amplification (not that I haven't made some changes to my ES14's).

Actually, I had forgotten, I did drive them with a Mission Cyrus II for a short time - worked just fine.

I must admit that I was somewhat taken aback by the strength of feeling Andrew expressed after his evenings listening at my house; however, in essence, I agree :).

What do you mean 'in essence'! Its your fault I have the ES14s :rolleyes:

Well....I was being polite.....I suppose I should say, I entirely agree 100% (which I do) :). I didn't make you buy them though...

Just listened to 'Time Flies' by Porcupine Tree. The macro/micro thing is there in again. The acoustic guitar is audible all the way through the track.

I am one happy bunny.

Just listened to 'Time Flies' by Porcupine Tree. The macro/micro thing is there in again. The acoustic guitar is audible all the way through the track.

I am one happy bunny.

I have a feeling you'll find yourself listening to a wider range of music and enjoying it far more.
What Saras do they do superbly well but the effect is very contrived, ie all music gets subjected to the same overt speaker effects. It works very well with some music but can ruin the enjoyment of other pieces. The ES14 is as capable dynamically (perhaps more so) yet is far more transparent to the source.

I have a feeling you'll find yourself listening to a wider range of music and enjoying it far more.
What Saras do they do superbly well but the effect is very contrived, ie all music gets subjected to the same overt speaker effects. It works very well with some music but can ruin the enjoyment of other pieces. The ES14 is as capable dynamically (perhaps more so) yet is far more transparent to the source.

I agree 100%.

I had the pleasure of listening to both Mark and Simon's systems year or so ago during a trip back,. It was the first time I had heard ES14s and yes - they are one of the few speakers I have heard that can completely disappear allowing nothing but the music through.

I've been looking for a sensibly priced pair on this side of the Atlantic ever since - sellers are looking for around $1,000 over here.

I had the pleasure of listening to both Mark and Simon's systems year or so ago during a trip back,. It was the first time I had heard ES14s and yes - they are one of the few speakers I have heard that can completely disappear allowing nothing but the music through.

I've been looking for a sensibly priced pair on this side of the Atlantic ever since - sellers are looking for around $1,000 over here.

Holy Cow!

However, subject to Marks approval we might just have a solution for you :)

$1000 is still cheap.
They were introduced in the UK back in the mid 80s at the insanely low price of £295 - that was cheaper than a Linn Kan. Go compare the engineering......

advertisement

Back