advertisement

Linn Records

Alex S

carbon based lifeform
In my exploration of Thomas Søndergård on Qobuz I found most of his output on Linn Records. So far I have found Charles Mackerras' Mozart to be satisfying. I already have Ingrid Fliter's Chopin. What other classical recordings do people recommend from Linn?

Sondergard's Prokofiev 1 & 5 with RSNO is good, especially the 1st.

Artur Pizarro's Chopin Collection and his recordings of the Beethoven Concertos 3,4 & 5 with MacKerras and the SCO are very good.

Solazzo Ensemble’s Parle qui veut *******
Richard Egarr’s Byrd and Sweelinck ***
Elizabeth Kenny - Theorbo
John Toll’s Gibbons
The Gothic Voices CDs ****
The Phantasm recordings, all of them except the Bach (just no!) **
William Carter’s Reusner recital
Nigel North’s Dowland Cd
Magnicat’s Scattered Ashes CD - just for the Josquin!
I think John Butt’s WTC is something to try - I don’t like it at all but others seem to love it. Same for his Bach passions and mass. In fact everything by Butt turns me off but nearly everyone else seems to lap it up.
Possibly the Musica Secreta - it’s a bit divisive
Possibly the Palladian Ensemble’s Bach trio sonatas - I blow hot and cold about it.

The * means that I really rate this very highly.

By the way, I much preferred Mackerras’s Prague Mozart, so maybe our tastes don’t align.

Oh yes the Palladian Ensemble.... "Held by the Ears" is a disc of 18th century folk tunes and dances, very pleasant listening.... Especially "The Lass o' Peaties Mill"

Oh yes the Palladian Ensemble.... "Held by the Ears" is a disc of 18th century folk tunes and dances, very pleasant listening.... Especially "The Lass o' Peaties Mill"

They include one of my favourite viol players, Susanne Heinrich. Her Tobias Hume CD is magical IMO.

In my exploration of Thomas Søndergård on Qobuz I found most of his output on Linn Records. So far I have found Charles Mackerras' Mozart to be satisfying. I already have Ingrid Fliter's Chopin. What other classical recordings do people recommend from Linn?
Mackerras’s Mozart symphonies with the SCO are truly excellent. No. 41 is a romper stomper that makes other recorded performances anaemic. The engineering is great too- catching the bloom of the Usher Hall nicely.

I’d thoroughly recommend some of the Dundedin Consort’s Bach on Linn. The violin concertos, solos taken by their leader Cecilia Bernardini. She has the line of beauty running through her playing.

J.S. Bach: Violin Concertos https://amzn.eu/d/gDXBX4v

Enjoyed this:

linnchen.jpg

From Linn's website:
"The four composers presented here brilliantly absorb other genres and art forms, reflecting their lives: the Turkish folk ballad, jazz, Russian poetry and African dance. Fazil Say’s Black Earth and Eleanor Alberga’s It’s Time both draw on their heritage, weaving together improvisation and complex rhythms. Sofia Gubaidulina’s mighty Piano Sonata is brimming with jazz and Russian Orthodox music. Unsuk Chin’s Piano Etude No. 5 is characterized with colourful and imaginative harmony using the overtone series, whole-tone collections and extremely complex rhythmic writing."

Benjamin Zander's Mahler 2 with the Philharmonia was my first super hi-res purchase - great sound and performance
Butt's solo Bach I can leave but go back to the Violin Concertos mentioned above and to his Brandenburgs (which was my second hi-res purchase ever). His reconstruction of the Mozart Requiem is worth the investment.

Has anyone mentioned Emily Baker?
DGP

Benjamin Zander's Mahler 2 with the Philharmonia was my first super hi-res purchase - great sound and performance
Butt's solo Bach I can leave but go back to the Violin Concertos mentioned above and to his Brandenburgs (which was my second hi-res purchase ever). His reconstruction of the Mozart Requiem is worth the investment.

Has anyone mentioned Emily Baker?
DGP
Ah, must hear the Requiem. My long term favourite Peter Schreier, Dresden Staatskapelle, has been matched by Christie’s Les Arts Florrissants

Mozart: Requiem https://amzn.eu/d/f9LUfrq
Requiem - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart https://amzn.eu/d/5i9C0Lj

[...] I think John Butt’s WTC is something to try - I don’t like it at all but others seem to love it. Same for his Bach passions and mass. In fact everything by Butt turns me off but nearly everyone else seems to lap it up. [...]

Same. I kept on making the mistake of buying the new releases as they came out, and then remembering that I shouldn't have. Mad, I know. :(

advertisement

Back