1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Linn, mon (subtle hint from Ikea?)

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Helen Bach, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Helen Bach

Helen Bach if it ain't Baroque ...

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Ikea are selling this ATM. It's a table top, in various colours and dimensions. Much the same as their (in)famous LAK table (which is now available longer but less wide) with a cardboard honeycomb structure. Should be light, and with suitable bracing (science to be worked out) make an excellent and fit for purpose support.

I'm going to get the 1200mm x 600mm, maybe in blue, for my workshop/development room (shed).

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/linnmon-table-top-geometric-black-blue-blue-20353755/

Subtle hint from Ikea, with whom I have no connection, I only live 1km from the local branch, and it is a source of many useful objects, not just for sound reproduction...

2. cubastreet

cubastreet Espresso Fiend

I wonder if they would work well as a skeletal turntable plinth.

3. timH

timH Senior Moment Member

Ikea/leak sandwich speaker?

4. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Would go well with a bit of kale

5. Helen Bach

not quite good enough, and subject to moisture ingress if sides are exposed, I guess. However, I am looking at honeycomb structures for plinth duty, using Nomex and aluminium h/c. Structure still needs damping, though, but I have ideas about that. I'll keep you posted if interested.

6. Helen Bach

John Kale?

7. timH

timH Senior Moment Member

Smart Alek ;)

8. Helen Bach

smart Helen, get it right...:cool:

9. GruntPuppy

GruntPuppy Well-Known Member

I've pressed a Vittsjo shelf unit into height as a pro-tem audio rack, if it wasn't for the glass middle shelf it would make a very useful low-cost solution to the organisation of hefty equipment.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/vittsjoe-shelving-unit-black-brown-glass-90305803/

I think I shall be forced to get something heftier though. I see that the fjallbo range has been introduced in the last year+ since I bought the vittsjo, and the shelving looks far more worthy.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/fjaellbo-shelving-unit-black-50339292/

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

If there are significant levels of moisture in your lounge then you have more pressing issues than audio furniture. I suggest fixing the roof first.

11. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I like Foamex board, especially glued together with foamed polyurethane sign boards (the type with a smooth paper outer surface). Very light and rigid together. I had some 10mm of each and made several shelves.

12. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Beer spillage, maybe? Personally, I don't consider the ability to shrug off spilled alcohol a functional requirement of my stereo, but I can see why some might. :)

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Christ, how long are you leaving it on there? I thought we'd grown out of being students a while ago. Seems not.

14. Helen Bach

no need to worry about moisture in the sitting/listening room, this shelf is for the workshop/big shed...