advertisement

Linn LP12s – Fire away!

Definitely ?.....or in your opinion ?

I suppose I can only really state that the pads+bumpers definitely change things objectively speaking, and that I find those changes to be decidedly positive subjectively speaking. But this is no different from making any other change where said change definitely changes the end sound and whether that new end sound is considered good or bad.

I have one of these. Very nice detailed sound through PE mode, though I think perhaps a little on the light side of presentation. Currently been ousted tho' by a Cyrus Signature phono.

To me, that’s fair. With both Kleos and Krystal, the Superline (with Z-plug and powered from 52) has a touch more foot-tapping, infectious boogie and bass punch to it. However, given the price difference, the gap is not big, and the gap on detail and quiet background and sibilance is even smaller.

I expect to use it with 82/HC/250 and reckons it’s a good VFM choice for that. Mind you, if offered a straight swap for a Cyrus Signature…

I just inserted my LP12 back into my living room system to try some Addis pads+bumpers underneath it to see how that went and sure enough, big improvement as expected. It was like going from dull to alive and...magical. Fwiw, I'd already put pads+bumpers under the deck in my bedroom but in there it's sitting on an IKEA Besta unit that's a bit wobbly so a sub-optimal base to say the least. In my living room it's on mana, as is everything else in the living room system.

So there you go, Addis pads+bumpers defo improve things when placed beneath an LP12.

One for me to try too!

One for me to try too!

A more experienced fishie had commented to me last week that putting pads+bumpers beneath an LP12 might not work out too well due to the suspended subchasis, and adding extra cushioning beneath the deck might lead to resonance issues or it might just not sound good. The Besta unit my LP12 normally sits on does allow for some side-to-side movement at the push of a finger and although it's not likely to collapse, it's definitely not the best platform for an LP12 so it's hard to really asses the impact of pads+bumpers there; I'm gonna replace with Besta unit with a mana 3-tier whenever I can get one, but for now I'll have to make do with the Besta unit. But as I've discovered this morning, pads+bumpers work with the LP12 as the combo does indeed change the sound for the better (imo).

One for me to try too!

There are separate threads on this but the TLDR summary is - it depends but it can be worth trying a few things yourself instead of believing consensus.

I spent some time a couple of years ago trying to improve isolation on my Cherry LP12 (Kore and Ekos).

It’s on a Target wall shelf so I assumed for 20+ years that a Tramp was unnecessary or worse than no base - experiment at various times in various places supported that.

I assumed that swapping the MDF board on the shelf for laminated glass or a slab of granite would be horrible (if changing nothing else). That prejudice too was supported by testing.

I assumed rubbery feet (I tried HRS because of free trial but other options exist) would be worse than not having them. If above a chink of granite and below the MDF on which the LP12 feet sat, that turned out to be wrong- with care, we got fractionally less sibilance and better stereo and no big minuses, contrary to ‘conventional wisdom’. Even if the layers looked a bit silly, they combo stayed.

We also tried the SRM base and platform instead of no base - a modest difference but another improvement.

Then I got the chance to try a Stiletto/ Skorpion/Keel. It gives the same boogie as the old LP12 but is a little better for air/ speed/ air/ neutrality/ clarity in all the areas we noticed.

We did try rubbery feet, different platforms and so on under the Stiletto but 4 listeners could all hear
Literally no improvement over Stiletto directly on the MDF board that the Target shelf came with in about 1988.

So the Stiletto stayed but the rubber feet and all the other bits of faff didn’t.

I suppose I can only really state that the pads+bumpers definitely change things objectively speaking, and that I find those changes to be decidedly positive subjectively speaking.

I think you have your objectives and subjectives reversed there.

I wish I already had such a brill system where I might consider the pads and bumpers combos as mere fripperies that, like most tweaks in my experience, are subjective. Personally I would never consider them a tweak

I wish I already had such a brill system where I might consider the pads and bumpers combos as mere fripperies that, like most tweaks in my experience, are subjective. Personally I would never consider them a tweak

I for one would love to cover my multi-thousand pound system in various products from wilkos

Put a dish-matique half full of sainsburys own brand washing up liquid on the right speaker just yesterday, and a luke warm slightly used floor wipe on the left. It's like Diana Krall was literally bumming my ear canals

After reading many, many threads on various forums about LP12 tables, footers and plinths I started to wonder why hardly anyone talks about the suspension. Surely, if the suspension was good enough the tables, footers and plinths wouldn't make a difference?

After reading many, many threads on various forums about LP12 tables, footers and plinths I started to wonder why hardly anyone talks about the suspension. Surely, if the suspension was good enough the tables, footers and plinths wouldn't make a difference?
The suspension is not trying to isolate the stylus from footfall or other in-room vibrations, if I understand correctly, but from the motor.

advertisement

Back