advertisement

Linn LP12s – Fire away!

That's what I was thinking. Lower expectations too. L1/L2 in particular are great value. Majik PSU is even cheaper of course. I wouldn't even worry about the Kore but then I have nothing against the steel subchassis. You could build a 90s/early 00s spec deck and ensure a good level of synergy.

Sometimes a (relatively) cheap setup can be more fun. I can be a perfectionist with HiFi and so a low cost setup can take away that drive for improvement. My Valhalla/Ittok/VM95E deck works that way - I don't fuss over it and it just gets on with the job of playing music, which it does very well.
You got me thinking now. I would love a vintage pre Cirkus / Ittok / Troika / Valhalla. I think that was the 80s sweet spot. Paired with a Nait and a pair of Kans. Hmmmmm.

You got me thinking now. I would love a vintage pre Cirkus / Ittok / Troika / Valhalla. I think that was the 80s sweet spot. Paired with a Nait and a pair of Kans. Hmmmmm.
I hate to spoil your party but Nait and Troika? Nait is MM only so ... might I suggest something like NAC42 with MC cards and a NAP110?

If the cherry LP12 goes to Tassie, then I am not sure I can be bothered selling bits from it first - who would do the work and buy the bits and how much (net) would I really save?

Also, my 82 down there has straight-through boards on the phono input. The obvious answer is to have the cherry LP12 fitted with a Prefix-S (£250 s/h), which will I hope suit the Krystal, and to ship my spare Hicap to power it. Mind you, the current Krystal must be near needing replacement, and that would be better done here than there.

If the cherry LP12 goes to Tassie, then I am not sure I can be bothered selling bits from it first - who would do the work and buy the bits and how much (net) would I really save?

Also, my 82 down there has straight-through boards on the phono input. The obvious answer is to have the cherry LP12 fitted with a Prefix-S (£250 s/h), which will I hope suit the Krystal, and to ship my spare Hicap to power it. Mind you, the current Krystal must be near needing replacement, and that would be better done here than there.
You might need a K for the Krystal. Linn cartridges are pretty low output I think 0.2, 0.25mV. As opposed to 0.5mV for other makes. I might be wrong but worth checking if you go that route. I had mine converted from K to S when moving from Troika to Dynavector.

I hate to spoil your party but Nait and Troika? Nait is MM only so ... might I suggest something like NAC42 with MC cards and a NAP110?
You could get a line level only Nait (IIRC these existed in the original shoe box form?), and fit the LP12 with a Prefix. Add a Hicap and you are definitely vintage front loaded.

I had Cirkus LP12, Ittok, Troika, Nait 1, Kans and loved it. I seem to recall that the Nait MM input boards could be swapped for the MC input ones ('K' for Karma?), but perhaps someone with a better memory will correct me. On second thoughts, perhaps that is why I upgraded to a 42.5/110. Loved that rig too. The 42.5/110 was probably the height of my Naim-love though. I was never as happy with subsequent 82/HiCap/250 or Saras.

Nait phono inputs are all on the main board and MM only, there are no plug in cards, so it will have been the 42.5 ith MC cards with the Troika ;)
At one time I used a Naim Linnk phono preamp with my Nait when I was using a Linn MC.

It has been suggested that a Krystal wants 200 ohms or less (so Prefix S is not ideal and a Prefix K is still less ideal).

Given that I found 476ohms in my Superline worked well with a Krystal (and with a Lyra Kleos in my Stiletto), I am tempted to discount this, and to pick a replacement Krystal (or Lyra?) and Prefix K over more flexible options like the Aria or Trilogy 906. I have been offered a Prefix S, but think that it will need converting to K (S has too little boost) if I stick with a Krystal. Does that look daft/wrong?

Also, if I did take the Prefix S, what is the cartridge most likely to appeal?

The best suggestion thusfar is to get a new Krystal (or a Dynavector XX2) here, and to buy a Dynavector P74 Mark 4 phono stage in Tasmania - since it is much cheaper (at c.£700) and rather easier to get in Australia than it is here.

That phono stage seems better than anything below about Superline level, and very adaptable.

Nait phono inputs are all on the main board and MM only, there are no plug in cards, so it will have been the 42.5 with MC cards for the Troika ;)

Thanks for correcting my memories. My step-by-step buying process must have been Nait 1 —> 42.5/110 —> Karma + K boards —> Troika.

Ronald Reagan remembered taking part in an assault on an island in the Pacific war. When they looked it up it turned out the memory had come from a film he was in. You have to learn not to trust memory absolutely.

I just inserted my LP12 back into my living room system to try some Addis pads+bumpers underneath it to see how that went and sure enough, big improvement as expected. It was like going from dull to alive and...magical. Fwiw, I'd already put pads+bumpers under the deck in my bedroom but in there it's sitting on an IKEA Besta unit that's a bit wobbly so a sub-optimal base to say the least. In my living room it's on mana, as is everything else in the living room system.

So there you go, Addis pads+bumpers defo improve things when placed beneath an LP12.

advertisement

Back