advertisement

Linn LP12s – Fire away!

I’ve bought plenty of reissues and I’m grateful that music that was unobtainable for a reasonable cost or was never issued on my favorite format is now available for me to enjoy.

A different question!

I now have the Stiletto singing, with its Lyra Kleos feeding my Superline. The Superline has a Z-foil airplug for resistance. A 576R plug seems to suit the Linn Krystal, but I am not sure that it's right for the Kleos. I will try plug-juggling, but what loading does everyone else use?

Not really. I think that's the point about musical accuracy. We are not chasing different sounds, but better insight into the fundamental components which make music compelling: melody, harmony, rhythm, pace and timbre in that order (for me). The leap in accuracy that I have experienced recently enables me to enjoy music with which I previously struggled because it got on my nerves, for example Keith Jarrett or Ultravox. Some extra nuance and musical intent has been revealed where before it was obscured by a kind of confusion. Trevor Horn productions sound yet more mesmerising, but so does Fats Waller. My urge to go and listen to all my vinyl has increased.

The other day I listened to Deep Heat '89, a record I'm often rude about, but I loved it. I think this is a measure of whether a change in your system is good: does it intensify the urge to give over more time to the groove.

What have you done recently to elicit this leap in accuracy?

I've got a 1979 LP12. All the plinths I have seen either have nothing on the internal corners or the large corner braces, This one has some kind of strengthening in the corners, is this unusual or have I just never seen it before.

Also am I right in thinking that I cannot fit a Circus bearing to this subchassis?

Thanks.

LP12 by Ian Matthews, on Flickr

..is this unusual or have I just never seen it before.

It is relatively rare but plinths were made by different companies and ones like this do exist.

You'll need a later sub-chassis which is thicker where the bearing mounts. You could use that one with a shim, it would work, but to be honest I think you'd be better getting a Stack Audio Tenor sub-chassis and fitting the bearing you have, if it's in good shape. The Tenor is one of the few alloy su-chassis available that can take the pre-cirkus bearing. I've fitted a couple of them and the difference is big.

With the Stiletto, we can hear literally no difference ( multiple pair of ears) between MDF on the Target shelf and other materials - except glass , which is bad. We can also hear no difference with SRM platform, so that will be staying with the cherry-plinth and Kore LP12 I used to use ( on which it combined with the SRM base to improve sq a bit).

So, in Wimbledon we’ll keep it simple.

No one showed any interest in buying the cherry LP12, with Kore and Ekos and Krystal, at any price at all. No matter. I have only been in Tassie for 2 weeks this time, and the hifi boxes are still being cleared by customs and I am already wondering how my girlfriend would respond to my shipping the old lP12 down here.

It turns out that an ageing population here means loads of second-hand record shops (and secondhand guitar shops for those who like Gibson, Gretsch and Ibanez, not do many real Feners) down here and prices are like the UK a decade ago.

Of course I could play LPs here on a turntable that isn’t from Glasgow, but we all know that I won’t really do that….

I've got a 1979 LP12. All the plinths I have seen either have nothing on the internal corners or the large corner braces, This one has some kind of strengthening in the corners, is this unusual or have I just never seen it before.

Also am I right in thinking that I cannot fit a Circus bearing to this subchassis?

Thanks.

A Cirkus kit includes a subchassis, part of the benefit comes from the double thickness through the bearing mount area.

Back in the Uk and still undecided.

My Wimbledon hi-fi is still very happy with Stiletto/ Skorpion/ Keel/ Radikal/ Karousel/ Ekos/ Kleos at the front.

I have compared again to Cherry/ Kore/ Lingo 4/ Cirkus/ Ekos/ Krystal/ SRM base (not Trampolin). The Stiletto wins on neutrality and detail and stereo image, but the gap is not huge and the old version is still very pleasing.

I still struggle with the idea of shipping the cherry LP12 to Tasmania when I have no vinyl there, but it also looks as if selling it won't get a great price - there was no real interest on the classified page. Also dealers suggest that breaking it is the only way to get a half-decent price - apparently the Lingo 4, Kore and Ekos are worth considerably more than the whole deck as a unit.

Writing off such a fine-sounding deck and having no turntable in Tasmania may be the rational choices, even if that means breaking it for bits. However, having come back from Tas, I am again thinking about how I could fit an LP12 into the house there and how close lots of second-hand record shop are.

It seems LP12s are as addictive as ever. Perhaps that's why they so many of us can't stop tweaking them.

Last edited:
LP12 to Tassie!
LP12 to Tassie!
LP12 to Tassie!

Seriously, here’s my logic:

As a vinyl lover, you are going to keep looking for - and finding - LPs in the most unexpected places, including during your travels around AU.

You will be dying to play them!

Besides, with the state the world is in currently, who knows what might happen to leave you stranded in Tassie without a decent vinyl-spinner?

UNTHINKABLE!!! :D

My recommendation: Leave your favourite wife in the UK and take your favourite mistress to Tassie.

You won’t regret it! :cool:

Back in teh Uk and stull undecided.

My Wimbledon hi-fi is still very happy with Stiletto/ Skorpion/ Keel/ Radikal/ Karousel/ Ekos/ Kleos at the front.

I have compared again to Cherry/ Kore/ Lingo 4/ Cirkus/ Ekos/ Krystal/ SRM base (not Trampolin). The Stiletto wins on neutrality and detail and stereo image, but the gap is not huge and the old version is still very pleasing.

I still struggle with the idea of shipping the cherry LP12 to Tasmania when I have no vinyl there, but it also looks as if selling it won't get a great price - there was no real interest on the classified page. Also dealers suggest that breaking it is the only way to get a half-decent price - apparently the Lingo 4, Kore and Ekos are worth considerably more than the whole deck as a unit.

Writing off such a fine-sounding deck and having no turntable in Tasmania may be the rational choices, even if that means breaking it for bits. However, having come back from Tas, I am again thinking about how I could fit an LP12 into the house there and how close lots of second-hand record shop are.

It seems LP12s are as addictive as ever. Perhaps that's why they so many of us can't stop tweaking them.
Have you considered selling the L4, Kore and Ekos but replacing them with L1, Majik and Ittok. You then have the best of both worlds with some money in your pocket for Vinyl and a turntable “Down Down South”. Just a thought. My mind does often work in mysterious ways.

Have you considered selling the L4, Kore and Ekos but replacing them with L1, Majik and Ittok. You then have the best of both worlds with some money in your pocket for Vinyl and a turntable “Down Down South”. Just a thought. My mind does often work in mysterious ways.
That’s a good thought
On my journey up to Ekos se/1 Krystal Keel Radikal Urika what I realised when I sold it was that for me in my system etc the “sweet spot” came at ekos troika keel geddon but I kept moving forward trying to give myself more of the same but looking back I should have stayed where I was o_O

That’s a good thought
On my journey up to Ekos se/1 Krystal Keel Radikal Urika what I realised when I sold it was that for me in my system etc the “sweet spot” came at ekos troika keel geddon but I kept moving forward trying to give myself more of the same but looking back I should have stayed where I was o_O
I have stayed “Where I was” and am very content. :)

Thanks.

I also have a Greaves plinth with the same corner set up, the date is somewhat smudged though but I think it is '83

That's what I was thinking. Lower expectations too. L1/L2 in particular are great value. Majik PSU is even cheaper of course. I wouldn't even worry about the Kore but then I have nothing against the steel subchassis. You could build a 90s/early 00s spec deck and ensure a good level of synergy.

Sometimes a (relatively) cheap setup can be more fun. I can be a perfectionist with HiFi and so a low cost setup can take away that drive for improvement. My Valhalla/Ittok/VM95E deck works that way - I don't fuss over it and it just gets on with the job of playing music, which it does very well.

advertisement

Back