advertisement

[FS] Linn LP12

I wouldn't waste youtime in the Burrel regardless of it's high regards - looks like a wealthy bric-a-brac shop.
Agree. Kelvingrove, yip. They've got a Spitfire hanging from the ceiling! Burrel is boring.
And Ā£120 of diesel in my Freelander šŸ˜‚
Think a Freelander would drink more than that. Will it stay running for that long? ;0)

Longest I did was Cambridge to buy the RP10. Did it in one day too, which was a bit mad. Was prepared to overnight if I felt I needed it but the car was comfortable and it was no problem. Didn't even feel tired when I got home. Drove to Birmingham and back after work one day to buy an amplifier! Best one was buying the Isobariks. That was Cheltenham. Wife thought I was was crazy but I've had those speakers for decades now and never regretted buying them for a second.

It's actually been really reliable. I've had it seven years now and done 50k miles in it. It's a late 2012 model (just a base 2.2GS) but up to this year I've only spent on service costs and tyres.
That said I have in the past twelve months spent Ā£4k.... New cam belt and water pump, turbo hose, rear suspension bushes and drop links, new clutch and dual mass flywheel, Haldrex service and diff oil change, full service and a partridge in a pear tree. It's a keeper as it lugs out caravan about. Just don't go near Discovery sports with the 2.0l Ingenium engine as they are utter rubbish, that's why my old Freelander has to soldier on!

It's actually been really reliable.
I've thought about getting an old Disco or Defender over the years but every time I've looked into I decide against it. Old Land Rovers are not cars, they are hobbies! A friend has an old Range Rover and it seems like every weekend he's fixing something. Then a few months later he's fixing the same thing again. Not my idea of fun.

Seriously if you can pick up a manual 2.2 turbodiesel Freelander 2 (circa 2014-15) you can't go wrong. There are examples out there with around 50k miles on the auto trader for around 10-12k. The 2.2 was a Peugeot Ford joint development. Unfortunately it's not ULEZ complient so I don't drive it into London, but then I never tow my caravan there, or my trailer (that's for the dump) and on the rare occasion it snows in the Chiltern hills, it'll go anywhere. Cavanous boot with the rear seats folded flat, almost Defender standard of off roading but one quarter of the price! If Glasgow hasn't got a ULEZ zone yet (and not planning one) they are definitely worth a punt. I absolutely love my one....tough as old boots! Oh....wades through up to 450mm of water too (18 inches in old money).

Seriously if you can pick up a manual 2.2 turbodiesel Freelander 2 (circa 2014-15) you can't go wrong. There are examples out there with around 50k miles on the auto trader for around 10-12k. The 2.2 was a Peugeot Ford joint development. Unfortunately it's not ULEZ complient so I don't drive it into London, but then I never tow my caravan there, or my trailer (that's for the dump) and on the rare occasion it snows in the Chiltern hills, it'll go anywhere. Cavanous boot with the rear seats folded flat, almost Defender standard of off roading but one quarter of the price! If Glasgow hasn't got a ULEZ zone yet (and not planning one) they are definitely worth a punt. I absolutely love my one....tough as old boots! Oh....wades through up to 450mm of water too (18 inches in old money).

Aye we've a LEZ zone, pain in the @rse to be honest, I can't drive in the city centre with a 14 plate Nemo van not that I go in there much but its a no go now.

Seriously if you can pick up a manual 2.2 turbodiesel Freelander 2 (circa 2014-15) you can't go wrong. There are examples out there with around 50k miles on the auto trader for around 10-12k.
Don't really have a need for such a car. Don't tow anything. My wife's car was a demonstrator and it actually one of those hidden towbars but never used it. I just fancied a Land Rover for the hell of it, something different, but too much work. Looked at one that already had a galvi chassis but the rest of the car was such a mess. Ton of work and money.

advertisement

Back