advertisement

Linn LP12 on ITV!

It’s said the Radikal is one of the biggest improvement you can make to the LP12.
It does seem a bit radical for a turntable maker to suggest that the process of making a turntable starts with the electronics, though. This, especially so, when said turntable comes with a basic power supply (Magik), and there exists two optional ones (Lingo ver ?.0 vs. Radikal Akurate).

I suspect that the real reason these optional electronic supplies have been shoved to the fore is that they represent the big profit centres in the turntable department.

Last edited:
I've only ever owned one LP12, a very basic model. It was quite an enjoyable build, owning and using it was a strange sort of magical, mythical feeling, like a rite of passage. It was very enjoyable and probably the TT I was most proud to own, but after having to sell it everything that came after it seemed to sound better, might just be my tastes I guess. Very glad I owned one though.

I had one. Greatly improved by switching LVX for Ittok. Further improved by swapping for the Xerxes I still have today :)

Tim

It's a TV show

Mine starts with a button that connects to the electronics. Is yours using a treadle?
Nah, hand crank!

Interesting idea, though...treadle drive, hmmm...

1ASCoWh.jpg

The remarkable thing about the LP12 is its physical dimensions and aesthetic have remained unchanged, even if the latest incarnation sounds quite different from the original released in 1972.

Next year, I expect there will be a 50th anniversary edition that cost a fair whack of cash. Might be worth collector value, particularly if Linn limited it to 50 numbered decks, and it is tastefully adorned. Just no gold-plating, please...

If the full-fruit 40th anniversary was priced at £25,000, then prepare for a £40K special.

The original LP12 release was in 1973 not 1972. Linn Products was registered in Feb 73 and the announcement/advertisement stating the LP12 was replacing the Ariston RD11 was in the May 73 edition of Hi-Fi News. My understanding is Ivor did not return to Glasgow from Israel until after Gilad was born in late 72.

September 1971 was the launch date of the RD11 at the Harrogate Hi-Fi Show.

Last year was the 50 years anniversary of the prototype turntable developed by Ivor Tiefenbrun at Castle Precision Engineering that eventually became the RD11. Castle apparently had Singer as one of their customers so the Craig B photo amused me because of that.

The remarkable thing about the LP12 is its physical dimensions and aesthetic have remained unchanged, even if the latest incarnation sounds quite different from the original released in 1972.

Next year, I expect there will be a 50th anniversary edition that cost a fair whack of cash. Might be worth collector value, particularly if Linn limited it to 50 numbered decks, and it is tastefully adorned. Just no gold-plating, please...

If the full-fruit 40th anniversary was priced at £25,000, then prepare for a £40K special.
I can't imagine Linn not going all 50th anniversary gold flash, James.

Finally, a record deck to match all those Nakamichi 1000ZXL Limited Edition cassette decks being hoarded by Russian oligarchs and Saudi princes. :)

1000zxllimited.JPG

What are they worth now then? I did some Interweb searching but no luck.
Dunno. According to thevintageknob they were $US 6000. new back in late '82 through 83. A few hundred more bucks would get one a 1500cc Civic hatch back then (a bit more again if one wanted cassette!).

I find it sad to see the Nakamichi brand having been reduced to being featured on cheap Chinese screw-on banana plug barrels.

On the other hand, it is heart warming to see how Linn have not only survived, but have managed to flourish.

Never had one, but it’s a periodic itch I’m probably going to have to scratch at some point. Maybe a nice, relatively old one in decent nick, with a 774. Every now and then I delve into eBay, but always hold back...

Never had one, but it’s a periodic itch I’m probably going to have to scratch at some point. Maybe a nice, relatively old one in decent nick, with a 774. Every now and then I delve into eBay, but always hold back...
You won’t lose a lot on one if you don’t like it... if you do get “bitten by the bug” though, they can become expensive, but that can be forgiven if you love the deck.

advertisement

Back