advertisement

Linn LP12 on ITV!

It’s serial number 2768. Here’s one I took a couple of years ago (still had Naim amps). I usually use a felt mat but the rubber one here is the original item. The ‘mark’ on the right is light reflection.

That will have the early PCB with same circuit as with the terminal strip, then.

Simple, reliable, and easy to repair.

Lovely!

Indeed. I’d personally not allow a Valhalla anywhere near it. It needs to wear its early red button with pride! Just buy it a nice new capacitor and its done.

I actually signed-up to the ITV hub to watch it. Whilst it is good to see any coverage of proper audio technology on mainstream TV it was just the typical low-end advertorial puff-piece one would expect. Everyone reading this site will know exponentially more about vinyl replay technology and the history and design concepts of the LP12 than one could ever put into a dedicated multi-part series, let alone a 10 minute segment of a typical consumer show. It was what it was, but good to see anyway.

Indeed. I’d personally not allow a Valhalla anywhere near it. It needs to wear its early red button with pride! Just buy it a nice new capacitor and its done.

I always wondered how close the Valhalla was to blowing up, the scorched pcb was always looked dodgy to me! On saying that I switched mine on after 10 years of being unused and it still worked fine!

My original red button LP12 had something special about it, hard to put a finger on it as it was 40 years ago but I felt the upgrade paths while technically may have been an improvement the original just felt good.

Last edited:
I actually signed-up to the ITV hub to watch it. Whilst it is good to see any coverage of proper audio technology on mainstream TV it was just the typical low-end advertorial puff-piece one would expect. Everyone reading this site will know exponentially more about vinyl replay technology and the history and design concepts of the LP12 than one could ever put into a dedicated multi-part series, let alone a 10 minute segment of a typical consumer show. It was what it was, but good to see anyway.
I just watched it too - there's 10 minutes I'll never get back :eek:

Agreed. At least I know it’s any easy fix it if does go. When you think it’s on the original PS and motor after 47 years, it’s pretty good going!

I’d personally do any capacitors that are present in its little supply now. Nothing fancy, just replace like for like with fresh new ones of the same capacitance and voltage rating. Better catching them before they pop!

It’s serial number 2768. Here’s one I took a couple of years ago (still had Naim amps). I usually use a felt mat but the rubber one here is the original item. The ‘mark’ on the right is light reflection.

my 77 has that mat too

That will have the early PCB with same circuit as with the terminal strip, then.

Simple, reliable, and easy to repair.

Lovely!

my original PSU was on a little PCB, can dig it out and post pictures if there’s interest? Same cct as terminal strip though I think.

my 77 has that mat too
So too did Rega's original Planar 2 (minus the Linn branding) before the change to felt.

my original PSU was on a little PCB, can dig it out and post pictures if there’s interest? Same cct as terminal strip though I think.
Yes, the PCB was more or less symmetrically laid out according to the terminal block paths used.

As the following 'Wiring Layout for Linn-Sondek LP12' (note the hyphen) indicates, there were 4 different configurations of supply voltage/supply frequency/motor type. Interestingly, one only sees a 4.7kOhm dropper resistor on the original Castle Precision Engineering built Ariston RD11 and earliest Sondek LP12. Linn soon adopted the practice of using a second 0.22uF (300V) capacitor as voltage dropper, a method also employed by Ariston when they went over to a PCB from a similar terminal block. Due to the lower heat generated, and improved reliability afforded, this method was eventually adopted by Rega, Systemdek, and others.

1973-linn-lp12-wiring.jpg

Last edited:
my 77 has that mat too

That would be useful, thanks!

ETA just seen CraigB’s post

I have no axe to grind about the Linn, years back I chose a PT in preference but I have recently seen a very interesting channel on youtube about a guy who works on various plinths etc, including Linn LP12. I think the site is called New Yorkshire Workshop , even if he does not do your particular table it is very interesting to watch a woodworking craftsman.

advertisement

Back