advertisement

Linn LP12 on ITV!

Even though I've gone over to digital/CD/ streaming, and my '81 vintage "old fruit box" doesn't get a lot of use these days, when I do actually put an LP on it, I am amazed at just how good it sounds ( pre-Cirkus bearing, Lingo 1 PSU, Trampolin 2).

It thoroughly deserves its status as a "classic"

I haven't seen the programme yet but will do in the morning. The detractors should visit the Linn factory and chat with the lovely people who build the kit, particularly the lady who builds all the LP12's who happened to be 'helping out on reception' when I was there and lives 20 miles away from me. There's no pretentiousness and certainly no cult involved. The standards and attention to detail are staggering, they reject components such as top plates for the tiniest flaw, and make loads of minor components themselves when most would just buy them in.

By the way they don't go out of tune, mine will go for years without attention, and I've never paid for a service as it's been set up every time I've had an upgrade installed included in the price. The upgrades mean that I've got a top flight 2020's turntable without having the bother of trading in and buying a new one for over thirty five years. Probably the only thing I've got that's more 'classic' than the turntable are the LP's I play on it.

Thread needs pictures! That sounds fabulous. I do like early LP12s.

PS Anyone who thinks they hate LP12s really needs to separate out any magazine or dealer behaviour/rhetoric from the actual design and engineering. As a physical item/record playing tool it is both classic and iconic. One of my favourite hi-fi products and a well cared for one of any age (i.e. one where no one has gone nuts with a pipe-wrench or whatever doing the bolts up) is always a good buy.

I’ve posted a few but will take some fresh ones! Even the PS is original, along with the SME S2 improved. When Peter Swain fettled the deck, he said if the PS fails, fit a Valhalla. That was over 10 years ago.

I’ve posted a few but will take some fresh ones! Even the PS is original, along with the SME S2 improved. When Peter Swain fettled the deck, he said if the PS fails, fit a Valhalla. That was over 10 years ago.
If the serial number is less than 2000 then it likely has the electrics on a terminal strip. No need for a Valhalla when you can pop in a new resistor and/or capacitor within a matter of minutes and have it run on for another generation.

4189005176_26d2874181_o.jpg

There's no pretentiousness and certainly no cult involved

The only cultish thing about Linn is my LP12 always puts a big smile :) on my face....especially after the Karousel it's bloody brilliant.
Can't think of to many companies where their original product is still in production.
Rega and Linn are two of my favourite UK turntable manufacturers and may they continue for another 50 years !

Last edited:
20+ year LP12 owner here. It was a great journey which only ended through curiosity and a new direction. It's true that unless you're willing to spend lots on it, it's probably not highest end by today's standards, and there there are arguably better sounding decks out there £ for £. The decks which I've had since have all been wonderful in their own way, and the Technics I have now does exactly what I want from a deck (which is sonically what others may not want to be fair).

But...there's just something so nice about having an LP12. The aesthetics are lovely imo and for those of us who lived through the 80s with all the hype and adulation...the romance of it all is still ingrained if I'm honest.

I doubt I'll own another, but then I doubt I'll own another Steinway. I'm glad I had them and, never say never.

Love it, tolerate it, hate it, it's an icon and a well deserved hifi legend.

Clicking the ITV video, I get the error: 'The video isn't available right now'.

At least you don't get that with an LP12.

Long live physical media and the wonderful kit required to play it.

In 1983 I had a “disappointing” visit to a Linn dealer, the plan was to buy an LP12, the result was a Pink Triangle bought elsewhere. Since then not a single Linn item has crossed the threshold until with a bit of advice from linnfo above I bought a Wakonda/LK85 this year.

Looking at Cymbiosis list of pre ‘98 updates/upgrades what’s the sweet spot spec wise for a mid 80’s to mid 90’s deck to go hunting for? I’d want to put an Ittok on it as that is the arm and look I always think of when an LP12 is mentioned.

https://www.cymbiosis.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Linn-LP12-History.pdf

If the serial number is less than 2000 then it likely has the electrics on a terminal strip. No need for a Valhalla when you can pop in a new resistor and/or capacitor within a matter of minutes and have it run on for another generation.

4189005176_26d2874181_o.jpg

It’s serial number 2768. Here’s one I took a couple of years ago (still had Naim amps). I usually use a felt mat but the rubber one here is the original item. The ‘mark’ on the right is light reflection.

Interesting look at how the LP12 is built and put together, I had one a few years ago and it's hardly changed.What was the arm they are using, is it a Linn arm?

I enjoyed seeing it but it was a shame they chose little fat Dennis to do the commentary.

My impession is that it needs to be constantly tuned, serviced and upgraded. Hardly a sign of good and reliable product design.
Ah, there you go with the contradiction.
First: everything else has progressed.
Next: upgrade after upgrade.

Has it progressed with upgrades? Or has it stagnated whilst others progressed? Which is it? Can't be both. I'm afraid the lack of logic here just demostrates brand bashing for the sake of it.

advertisement

Back