advertisement

Linn LP12 noise issues.

wylton

Naim and Mana member
I posted a while back here, about some noise issues I was experiencing with the LP12/Kore/Audiomods turntable I have in the 2nd system in the office upstairs. One of the problems was my poor grounding arrangement in the tone arm, that I originally wired myself. Some time passed before I had the time to look at the problem. Initially, I corrected the ground error, expecting the problem to go away, but while one of the issues (buzzes and noises whenever I touched the arm) was cured, in its place was extreme RF and buzzing irrespective of whether or not I touched the arm.

Thinking that my wiring was still imperfect, I kept the internal wring in place, but fitted a din plug at the arm base and purchased a new external tonearm cable.

Still no good! Extreme RF interference; my record deck had turned into a tuner!

I set about trying to trace the problem. I unplugged everything apart from the LP12. I carefully traced the ground wires and made sure that there was no ground loop; one of the issues was if I left the arm ground off at the pre-amp (NAC42.5) I got a 50Hz hum and if I connected the ground, I got a buzz! I spent frustrating hours trying to get to the bottom of it. I used an extension lead to plug the system into another circuit, in case it was a mains or earth issue, but no. I swapped amplifiers; still the same.

Running out of ideas, I sat to recall what I had done. Then it occurred to me, that when I swapped amps, I used the same 324/5 cards. I rummage through the spares drawer and found a spare set of cards; bingo! The problem was with the MC cards all along. I don't know at which point the fault occurred, but whatever, it’s alright now; no hum, buzzes or RF (touch wood).

advertisement

Back