advertisement

Linn LP12 Motor Unit. 50 or 60hz

maccavelli

pfm Member
Hello, I am not particularly Savy regarding this but can you swap the stock 50hz rated motor that is used in the LP12 for the 60hz variant and vice versa without needing to change anything else along the way?

Thanks

Hello, I am not particularly Savy regarding this but can you swap the stock 50hz rated motor that is used in the LP12 for the 60hz variant and vice versa without needing to change anything else along the way?

Thanks

No, IIRC different pulleys used as the speed the motor rotates is derived from the frequency of the mains supply.

Agreed with FlatP - in reality there is now such thing as a 50Hz or 60 Hz motor - they are both the same - the difference being the diameter of the pulley (22mm and 17mm respectively). Use the wrong one and the motor will run too fast or too slow.

It also depends on what you are trying to achieve - why do you need to do it?

Don't the crystal derived Valhalla & Lingo supplies produce 50 Hz sine waves regardless of the incoming mains frequency?

It is one I sold to a guy in America. He said it is 50hz and not 60hz. I did suggest it should be possible to fit, but after your comments then maybe not. It is to go on an LP12.

The motor is unchanged for the move to 60Hz. It will run faster on 60Hz (assuming a Basik or Armageddon power supply), so it needs a smaller pulley. That's the difference.

As others have said the Lingo outputs a perfect 50Hx sine wave so a 50Hz motor and pulley will work.

Your man needs to swap the pulley from his 60Hz model, then it will be fine.

ok thanks. I will ask him actually what the rest of his kit is. To see if he has the Valhalla.
So the Hz difference purely affects how the LP12 runs? I thought the incompatability might be something to do with their different main voltage over in the US

I'm not convinced the Valhalla regenerates 50Hz. In fact I doubt that it does. I think if you feed it 60Hz you get the same out.

Science alert:
The motor on the LP12 is a "synchronous" motor which means that its speed is regulated by the frequency of the mains supply. It will not run on DC and it would run at twice the speed at 100Hz as it would at 50, and half at 25Hz.

The voltage of the supply does not affect the speed, but less voltage means less power. On a record player, no big deal. On a hoover, bad news.

Further science - the LP12 transforms the 240V input to 110 for all or part of the motor supply. The motor therefore runs on 110V. On USA versions I am not sure if they remove this trafo so that it runs on 110 straight off the supply.

Either way the motor is the same.

The Valhalla has a 240 and 110 connection block on the board and you change over the fuse to the 110V side

From the dealer set up manual

In countries with 60 Hz mains supplies, older turntables
may have a smaller (17 mm) diamter pulley. On these
LP12s the motor should be in the outermost position. This
is accomplished by having both motor mount bolts at the
extreme outside of their slots.
Please note:
All new turntables are factory fitted with the larger,
50Hz pulley, and thus should have one motor
mounting bolt at the extreme outside of its slot and
the other motor mounting bolt at the extreme inside
of its slot.
Both Lingo and Valhalla power Supplies use the 50Hz
motor/pulley.
Motors with 60 Hz pulleys as supplied in the appropriate
BASIK power supply kit and are not compatible
with the Lingo or Valhalla power supply.
Original Valhallas supplied to countries with 60 Hz
mains were supplied 60 Hz Valhalla boards.

Alan

Briefly:

1. The Valhalla has both 110 and 240v input capability and rectifies the AC to DC. It then regenerates its own AC supply. The crystal sets the frequency and most Valhallas are set to 50Hz.
  2. Most Valhallas are set to 50Hz and since availability all Valhalla equipped LP12 leaving the factory used 50Hz pulleys regardless of destination.
  3. Linn supplied a modified version of the Valhalla set for 60Hz so that US and Canadian dealers could retrofit to sales stock and customers tables without having to change the motor.
I'm not convinced the Valhalla regenerates 50Hz. In fact I doubt that it does. I think if you feed it 60Hz you get the same out.
Incorrect - the Valhalla puts out a fixed frequency regardless of the input frequency.
I thought the incompatability might be something to do with their different main voltage over in the US
It is.
Your man needs to swap the pulley from his 60Hz model, then it will be fine.
And that is impossible without damaging the motor What your man needs to do is contact me and I can sort him with a Valhalla suited to a 60Hx motor

And that is impossible without damaging the motor

Actually, it can be done quite easily with a bench mounted pin press - support the pulley from beneath, and press down on the motor shaft - the pulley will slide right off.

Actually, it can be done quite easily with a bench mounted pin press - support the pulley from beneath, and press down on the motor shaft - the pulley will slide right off.
Then fit the new one without damage! Far easier and less risky to change the crystal and phase cap - maybe $1 worth of parts!

advertisement

Back