advertisement

Linn LP 12 servicing and upgrade.

Any recommendations in the Leeds area now Bill's retired? Has anyone used DNA Audio yet, or is a trip to York, to The Sound Organisation, the best reasonably local option?

I live in Leeds and I'm happy to give it a look over. It's not complicated, bring it round one weekend and I'll happily show you what's required. Alternatively you could try Audio Replublic, are they Linn savvy or is it just Notts they stock?

I've done a couple now in Leeds, one was fitted with an SME arm that was a joy to set up. The other was a new cart on an LP12 for Karl. The latter was very soon after the accident and a bit of a challenge, but I got it done.

I live in Leeds and I'm happy to give it a look over. It's not complicated, bring it round one weekend and I'll happily show you what's required. Alternatively you could try Audio Replublic, are they Linn savvy or is it just Notts they stock?

I've done a couple now in Leeds, one was fitted with an SME arm that was a joy to set up. The other was a new cart on an LP12 for Karl. The latter was very soon after the accident and a bit of a challenge, but I got it done.
Nothing needed at the moment. I'm thinking ahead, but thanks.
I'm in Headingley. Where are you?

Update.

Thanks once again for your recommendations and private messages.

I decided to take my L.P 12 deck along to Colin Macey in Beaconsfield, a short trip round the M25. I have to say I was instantly put at ease and knew that I had made the right decision as to who would service my deck. I auditioned a Linn Krystal cartridge on one of Colin’s many systems, my intensions were to have a service and a Kore fitted and hang on to my trusted Troika. Despite its age it has very low hours use, sometimes my system was never used in months even years, I once went 8 years without putting needle-on-the-record as my system was in storage for that period. I decided to go for the Krystal and feel that this cartridge will see me out. Colin sent my Aro tone arm away to Naim because of a poor earth, every time I went near the deck I got a low humming noise. This was rectified and also new head shell tags were fitted to allow for the new modern cartridge. I also had to have a new Lingo connector, unfortunately the part was no longer available so a newer Lingo connector and board were adapted. It was also decided that the deck needed a new motor. I was constantly updated while my deck was away and always felt at ease with my initial decision.

The deck is now back home and sounding superb. I would have no hesitation in recommending the services of Colin Macey at What You See And Here.
Glad to hear you got it all sorted and it's sounding good.

Colin does a great job with both my decks. I can 100% trust him to ensure they're sounding their best.

Nothing needed at the moment. I'm thinking ahead, but thanks.
I'm in Headingley. Where are you?
Pudsey, tea and biscuits provided and a listen to a Garrard 401 via stacked ESL 57s on offer. That sounds rubbish though. :p

Seriously, an LP12 is a simple device and anyone with patience, basic setup tools and a smattering of mechanical sympathy can have one working very well within an hour. With time taken to drink tea.

Great to hear that Colin from WYSAH was able to help and advise you as he's always done for me in my long and sometimes troublesome journey with the LP12. I travel down from Staffordshire to see Colin anytime I need something fettling on the LP12, and indeed any component in my current system. Had to make an emergency trip a few years ago after a local 'guru' make a right pigs ear of my LP12 - I didn't have time to travel south so decided to stay local - big mistake !

Always received the warmest of welcomes and great customer service which is rare nowadays. Nothing is too much trouble for this guy and I'm not surprised at all to read the comments here about his excellent knowledge and reputation. One of the few gents still going strong in the hi-fi world ..... :)

Similar question ...servicing LP12 west midlands, anybody have experience of Sound Cinergy of Aldridge.

Bob

Moved on from my LP 12, not because I was unhappy with its performance but having it serviced meant a 300 mile round trip to Dublin. Not beeing very confident with stuff of a mechanical nature, I often thought that if there was a course on LP12 set up and basic maintenance, I would have been first in line.

Similar question ...servicing LP12 west midlands, anybody have experience of Sound Cinergy of Aldridge.

Bob

Bob I'm in the Midlands and I'd strongly recommend having a trip down to see Colin in Beaconsfield. I normally make a day of it and stay somewhere close by, ususally in a Travelodge so I can have a few drops of 'neck oil' :)

Pretty sure Sound Cinergy don't support the travelling salesman approach, which is good, but don't know any more than that.

advertisement

Back