advertisement

Linn LK140 Vs Rotel RB991

j_s

pfm Member
I'm looking for a reasonably priced power amplifier for my Linn majik109's and was thinking along the lines of maybe a Linn LK140 or Rotel RB991, both seem to go for around the £350 mark, does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

I've no experience with the Rotel but used an LK140 a few years back with a Classik, worked very well and no complaints with the sound. Naim NAP100 is a fabulous half-width PA, RCA/DIN connections, really solid little guy, I've used one with a Uniti for 3 years now. Probably within reach used.

I don’t really know anything about the Rotel model you mention but having owned several LK140s and still using one in my active system daily, I do like them, it’ll have no problem driving your Majik 109s, even though some dealers will tell you that you need a newer Linn amp with them.

Not used an rb 991 but I'm currently driving a pair of keilidh's with an rb 981 and they sound very good so you should be fine with the rotel on 109's.

The Rotel looks to have a 100 times more components, but looks repairable, I guess the Linn is scrap if it breaks.
3l.jpg

cdac1268884e62fa17ef2b3dab2b2a3e.jpg

The Rotel looks to have a 100 times more components, but looks repairable, I guess the Linn is scrap if it breaks.
3l.jpg

cdac1268884e62fa17ef2b3dab2b2a3e.jpg
Unless their outputs are shorted (which almost certainly will kill it) the LK85/140 are pretty reliable... but if the output devices do get blown and burn any PCB traces, they are a pain in the arse to fix and will never be like new, even if they sound fine. Linn’s answer was always to replace the whole board, but I don’t think they stock them anymore.

There are probably a similar number of components in both amps but the Linn makes extensive use of surface mount technology and multi layer PCBs which allows them to pack it all down on to one small PCB... and is also why trace repairs are a pain in the arse.

Have a Rotel RB1070 and an RCD991 CD player. If judging by those it's a no brainier. Build quality is great and the amp is holding it's own against rega Exons and a Naim NAP160 and dual NAP140's.
Look at the 991 specs, it's a serious beast.

The LK140 is a decent good amp for very little outlay.
I have one fronted by a Lejonklou Kikkin pre in my office.
Rock-solid combo

I'd pounce on the Rotel but interested why no SMD parts? A lot of advantages but never had them in HiFi gear.
Ever tried multi layer ceramic capacitors?

I'd pounce on the Rotel but interested why no SMD parts? A lot of advantages but never had them in HiFi gear.
Ever tried multi layer ceramic capacitors?

A lot of disadvantages as well.... They're in loads of hi fi gear these days, and a PITA to work on!
Multi layer ceramics of any type are about as bad as it gets as a cap in the signal path! Higher the "K" the worse so things like a Z5U dielectric bloody awful!

A lot of disadvantages as well.... They're in loads of hi fi gear these days, and a PITA to work on!
Multi layer ceramics of any type are about as bad as it gets as a cap in the signal path! Higher the "K" the worse so things like a Z5U dielectric bloody awful!
That depends on what you’ve cut your teeth on, generally I find SMD easier to work on but I’ve been doing it all my working life and have the tooling for it.

The bigger issue is if an internal trace on a multi layer board gets broken, I’ve gotten around that with bodge wire a few times, but tracing the damage and the points you need to solder to can be extremely tedious.

advertisement

Back