advertisement

Linn Krystal

Ronaudio

Ronaudio
Went to get a Dynavector 20XL fitted to my Sondek/Ittock, but came away instead with a Linn Krystal!
Massive upgrade over my Dynavector 10X5, but then You'd not be surprised, given the price difference.
It was another of those wow moments, with better detail, realism, and bass.
I have, however, been worried about the tracking force. This was recommended as 1.75g, but seems light for a moving coil. I've got it set a shade above (1.78g) and feel more confident about the groove security at this weight. Sounds ok at 1.75 though. I seem to becoming obsessional about this. In the past I've believed that setting at or near the manufacturer's maximum was in order so that the cartridge didn't 'rattle' around in the groove, thereby causing damage?

You're right in principle to err towards the higher end of recommended forces imo, but 1.75 is not unusual for a variety of MCs.

Do check that you are measuring the tracking force correctly with the stylus at LP height etc. And don't take it as read that the dial on the arm is correct either :D

Thanks.
Yes didn't trust my old shure balance, and according to my newly acquired electronic device, it was indeed set too high. This new thing is supposed to be accurate to within 0.01g.
And yes the dialed in tracking force after 'balancing' the arm does not inspire confidence in the accuracy of the result.

Yes, 1.75g is quite a typical tracking weight for MC carts.
The Lyra Kleos specifies 1.65 ~ 1.75g but recommends 1.72g.

That's almost chemical balance level of precision, but again demonstrates erring on the heavier side of the VTF range.

Just checked my new electronic guage with the 5p coin test (should weigh 3.25g) but it was wrong (over reading) and so I went through the re-calibration process.
I then checked the cartridge with the re-calibrated (corrected) gauge, and discovered that I had, in fact, been tracking it at precisely that recommended weight of 1.75 after all!
Now I thought that it was sounding 'right', so that just goes to show how sensitive the human ear can be. Even mine! Well at least one of them!
Also, this is one hell of a cartridge, and has transformed the sound of my system. It seems to be so balanced and natural sounding, and so easily able to communicate the emotion in a performance.

advertisement

Back