advertisement

linn Kore?

Ronaudio

Ronaudio
Recently had a circus bearing upgrade masterfully carried out by Peter at Cymbiosis on my 80's Sondek, and with which I am extremely pleased. The sound has much better focus, with a tightening up of the bass and with much more midrange detail now being evident.
Peter suggested the fitting of a kore, as a useful next upgrade. This, if I have it fitted, will (probably) by my final upgrade for the turntable (aside from cartridge upgrades in the future) and I am interested to hear what effect the upgrade has had on the systems of those who have had it fitted.

Do they not have one for dem?

On blind faith in Linn to make their product ranges sound better as you climb their ladders, and my experience of having a keel on my deck for a while at some point, I'd say that you'll probably find it a good upgrade.

The Keel did a remarkable job of tightening up the timing, and really opened up the dynamics of the deck. The level of slam you could get from the bass was particularly impressive.

Thanks Ping. Yes you're right. Ought to have a dem first. Or maybe just get it cos If there's one guy who obviously knows the sondek, it's Peter Swain of Cymbiosis, and if he says it's good then I'm sure it is!
however couldn't justify the keel in the context of my humble system, but the kore sounds like it will optomise the benefit of the bearing upgrade.

:)

I have various things I'm looking to do with my system. Basically I need to find a Linto to replace the one I sold first, and I'm looking at going aktiv, but then deck wise I have a Kore down as the next step.

Not strictly speaking source first, but hey-ho :)

Peter is the only guy in the UK (IMHO) that can build a demo deck as close as possible to what you already have, with the only difference being the upgrade you're interested in buying. You can then take your deck back to Leicester and hear them side by side.
He really goes out of his way to let you decide for yourself.
The only downside is that you generally end up spending money.

PS : No idea about the Kore though

I installed a Kore on my deck just after Christmas and don't regret it for a second. In the context of my system it had an effect similar to how you described your Cirkus upgrade. Improved bass definition and general sense of more control. I am still pleasantly surprised how much difference it made.

I'd definitely go and have a listen.

No doubt about it, the Sole is really good vfm and rather better than the original Linn unit. However, based on the couple of times I've heard one, I'd say it's not quite up to the standard of a Rubikon, which of course is no longer available, but was utterly trounced by a Keel when I did the comparison. As a consequence I now use a Keel, but when I heard the Kore I was impressed and thought it a relative bargain by Linn standards.

I'd suggest you arrange to hear one at Cymbiosis against the standard sub-chassis and base your decision on that. Of course you'll end up buying one but at least you'll know why.

I'm sure Peter Swain, Cymbiosis, said on another thread recently that he still had some Rubikon left.

I have had a Kore for over a year now and agree that it is a great vfm upgrade. I would have liked to have been able to compare with the third party chassis' (Sole etc) before buying but it just wasn't possible up here. It improves the deck in all areas with no negative effects.

I'd get a listen to the new Tangerine sub chassis, Plateau, if I were you. Cymbiosis, as a Tangerine dealer, should be able to advise.

I'm sure Peter Swain, Cymbiosis, said on another thread recently that he still had some Rubikon left.

I do have a couple left as I like to support good 3rd party products and yes it was a shame that Rubikon decided to leave the market after the Kore was introduced.

PING: Do they not have one for dem?

Ping I have more LP12s on demo than any other retailer worldwide. 15 currently set-up and ready to go and one in a box waiting to be set-up when I have a request which is not already on demo. I also keep Linn, Naim Aro and Rega Kores in stock for immediate build should any of my clients decide on one following a demo.

Best regards,

Peter

I'd get a listen to the new Tangerine sub chassis, Plateau, if I were you. Cymbiosis, as a Tangerine dealer, should be able to advise.

I'll be hearing one as soon as I return from my set up trip to the Middle East and Australasia - Probably late April with any luck.

KR

Peter

Ping I have more LP12s on demo than any other retailer worldwide. 15 currently set-up and ready to go and one in a box waiting to be set-up when I have a request which is not already on demo. I also keep Linn, Naim Aro and Rega Kores in stock for immediate build should any of my clients decide on one following a demo.

Best regards,

Peter

That sounds like a 'yes'.

That sounds like a 'yes'.
Peters LP12s in there new home.:cool:
Ozo8vw.jpg

And new the workshop.
OOj2rU.jpg

That is a hell of a lot of demo LP12's - you really will be able to A/B compare every option.

advertisement

Back