advertisement

Linn Klimax Kontrol Pre-Amplifier: Intermittent Buzzing Issue

DSCOTT

pfm Member
My Linn Klimax Kontrol pre-amplifier has developed an intermittent buzzing issue on the outputs (the actual unit itself is not buzzing).

The unit was bought new by me in 2003. No upgrades. There is no on/off switch on the Kontrol. The unit is always in standby mode while plugged in.

The noise is not a humming sound but more like a buzzing sound. The issue occurs at random, but if the unit is powered off, then powered on and left powered on, the buzzing may not start for anywhere between 3 and 8 hours. Other times, the buzzing can start almost immediately. In this case, powering the unit on and off a number of times, may get rid of the buzzing. However, it always returns after a period of time. The buzzing sound can occur even if the unit is only in standby mode. The buzzing seems to increase in loudness as the volume is turned up.

I have isolated the fault to the Kontrol. I have tried power amplifiers and a couple of headphone amplifiers hooked up to either the RCA or XLR outputs. I have tried with the inputs connected and with no inputs connected. The buzzing issue is there even with no inputs connected. It is also there using either a power amplifier or various headphone amplifiers. Hence the problem is clearly with the Kontrol pre-amplifier.

Any ideas whether this might be a power supply problem or a problem on one of the circuit boards.

Thanks for any suggestions or insights.

I'm in Australia.

OK. Thanks guys. I'll email Linn and see what they say. Will be interesting to see what options they offer for someone in Australia (either upgrade or just some recommended repairers).

advertisement

Back