advertisement

Linn Keel - What's so special?

Yes DD delivers motor noise to the platter, which why the best of the breed could achieve a DIN B signal to noise ratio of only 95 dB.

Hmmm-- Funny you should mention that--I had a friend that had the GP Monaco--he sold it due to the excessive cogging of the DD motor--he did like the sound though

D41
Provided you can make the magnet/pole ring uniform enough, modern electronics can eliminate cogging by controlling the coil drive currents, also true for synchronous ac motors

Oh, please.... how many listeners get the chance to 'try out' a number of SME turntables, apart from lottery winners and Russian oligarchs ???

SME decks are hardly the playthings of 'oligarchs'....I think the vast majority of customers are normal people who save-up to get what they want.
It is true that hearing all the range can be tricky...but it can be done, and plenty of people have made the comparisons. The problem is the same with most good audio...dealers can't afford to hold so much expensive stock.
Anyway, SME is by the South Downs in Sussex, and Firle Beacon, the highest spot on the Downs, is where we are about to have a Christmas walk, egg sandwiches for lunch.....We will make up for that later!

Any noise generated by the motor. Have we invented noiseless motors? I don't think we have.
With DD there is no bearing other than the platter bearing that has to be there anyway. There is no friction drive. So there is no mechanical motor noise. We have to deal with the variations in torque. But those exist with any motor.

Paul

Some belt drives with both ac and dc motors, direct drives and idlers have all achieved more than good enough noise performance. Unfortunately few of the current products at affordable prices do this. The different types all have their own strengths and weaknesses so there is no point getting too worked up about which is best

We have motors which are noiseless enough.
Vinyl is intrinsically noisy - motors only need be quiet enough for purpose.

Some belt drives with both ac and dc motors, direct drives and idlers have all achieved more than good enough noise performance. Unfortunately few of the current products at affordable prices do this. The different types all have their own strengths and weaknesses so there is no point getting too worked up about which is best
I think you have to ignore the 'good enough' concept when it comes to turntables (or phono stages...)

But mechanical noise in the TT seems to be an easily solvable problem (other than for idlers?) whereas making the platter revolve at a constant speed is very difficult.

Paul

So in terms of a product I haven't decided what to do about it, maybe we'll just release the sub chassis which can be used as a direct Keel replacement/alternative and give customers the option to go to stage 2 (DC motor mated to the sub chassis) if they wish.

Hi Roger,

I want to say that we are waiting for the Kernel. The concept of this sub chassis is unsurpassed in my view and it is my wish to encourage you to release it in 2015.

Kind regards and blessings for 2015

Matt

Hi Matt, thanks - I am going to get this out soon, I had a lot of of other commitments last year and things got a bit derailed with regard to this unfortunately; I just couldn't commit to the time to complete it as a finished retail product. Anyway look forward to get the packaging sorted and a few other fitting components and then releasing it. All the best to you too for 2015:)

The Keel is a big rip off, period. It's a piece of machined aluminium FFS. Nothing complicated about it. A pall of mine mills stuff like this all the time, piece of cake. The Hi-Fi world is the best place to rip off gullible fools. No way would I spend £2,660 on a piece of tin for a 'negligible' upgrade in sound.

The cast aluminium sub-chassis on my Heybrook TT2 mk 2. mid eighties.

A few decades before the Keel. Not the same, but a while ago.

Note the blocked-out cavities.

735-B6-A5-D-F2-EF-406-F-AEAD-B25-F53-E2-FA95.jpg

Interesting how that bearing appears to be attached to the sub-chassis on that Heybrook. Isn’t that kind of like how the Karousel is attached?

Interesting how that bearing appears to be attached to the sub-chassis on that Heybrook. Isn’t that kind of like how the Karousel is attached?

Yes, it uses a nut and a thread. The bastards!!!!!!! Always ripping off other people's ideas. The inheritors of Archimedes estate will be suing them soon under their everlasting God-backed patents, signed and witnessed by Zeus himself.

advertisement

Back