advertisement

Linn Keel - What's so special?

Me neither. But you are missing out on hell of a lot of music by sticking with the LP12. I remember thinking it was the bees knees, but these days it's way off the pace, for the prices they are asking.

Well, I would disagree. I'm not saying there isn't a turntable out there, anywhere that I might prefer to my LP12 (especially within what I'm willing spend - given that I didn't and wouldn't buy new from Linn!), but I haven't heard it yet. Nor do I feel the urge to instigate a concerted search to try to find it, at least for now.

Why should it matter to you? It doesn't stop you from commenting authoritively.

I used two LP12s for around 20 years. But it doesn't really matter, the LP12 is more of a religious icon to its owners, than a piece of hi-fi equipment.

I used two LP12s for around 20 years. But it doesn't really matter, the LP12 is more of a religious icon to its owners, than a piece of hi-fi equipment.

Pretty low-end and bodged compared to what's available today.

Not to all owners, some of us just prefer it to the other decks we've tried.

On the other hand, it seems that those who've moved on from the LP12 feel an evangelistic urge to convert everyone else - like reformed alcoholics.......

Methinks Mr Blzebub's indulging in some gentle fun and wind-ups at this seasonal time. Best not to bite my fellow appreciators of the accoustic superiority of the Sondek over all others (most don't seem to call it a Sondek any more, do they?).

Methinks Mr Blzebub's indulging in some gentle fun and wind-ups at this seasonal time. Best not to bite my fellow appreciators of the accoustic superiority of the Sondek over all others (most don't seem to call it a Sondek any more, do they?).

I stopped calling it Sondek when the CD12 came out, also using the Sondek moniker.....

No, he gets pretty defensive when it comes to his favorite SME, ATC and Naim.

On the other hand, it seems that those who've moved on from the LP12 feel an evangelistic urge to convert everyone else - like reformed alcoholics.......

Not even slightly, it is a matter of supreme indifference to me what someone I will never meet chooses to buy. I think the point of the thread is the lack of vfm with Linn turntables/accessories, and not the vibrancy of the s/h market. Plus, we all like to knock an icon, don't we?

Oh, please.... how many listeners get the chance to 'try out' a number of SME turntables, apart from lottery winners and Russian oligarchs ???

I've no idea. I'm neither Russian, nor a lottery winner, but I've tried two. The poster indicated some degree of familiarity with SME tables.

What motor noise?

Linear? I think that would also be direct? Albeit not as an oversized brushless DC motor? Or have I got the wrong idea? Are there any more question marks that can terminate clauses in this paragraph?

Paul

advertisement

Back