advertisement

Linn Kan mk1, an alternative with more bass extension

I designed the E-IX to be a latter-day Kan with bigger balls. By most accounts, they seem to do the job. Here is a picture courtesy of Vuk. You can build a pair yourself by referring to this reference post, or as another poster suggested by contacting Stefan a.k.a. Orangeart.

ergo_a00.jpg

Hoffman's Iron Law is a bitch. Hence, my E-IX offers about 50% more enclosed volume by virtue of a deeper box.

Which to me seems a good way to go, as it maintains a minimal sized front panel and the issues that can avoid.

Mull

A Kan with more bass is like chasing the dragon, as our Chinese friends might say.

Only speaker I've heard and owned that CAN fit is the Kaber with ku-stone bases. Better have an amp that matches well (read: powerful) or it will sound thin, bright, and nasty, just like the Kan when driven with inadequate amplification.

You will not get proper., deep bass extension from an LS3/5A sized box without losing something else. It is simply too small.

Have look for Rogers Studio 3 (s/h) Same size, better overall balance and a highish overall impedance so you don't need a million watts to drive them.

I would second the Studio 3s.
Not an LS3/5a, but to my ears preferable to the Kans.

A Kan with more bass is like chasing the dragon, as our Chinese friends might say.

Only speaker I've heard and owned that CAN fit is the Kaber with ku-stone bases. Better have an amp that matches well (read: powerful) or it will sound thin, bright, and nasty, just like the Kan when driven with inadequate amplification.

Is there any sub out there that might fatten up the low end without spoiling the rest?

I ask because I used to use my BK 10" sealed sub very successfully with my IBL's. I once tried a very expensive REL sub with the IBL's and it was a complete musical mess.

I now use Teddy Pardo speakers, the sealed variety, on my old Sound Org Kan wall brackets.

A good friend of mine commented how these actually sound quite Kan like in many ways, not sure Teddy would take that as a compliment but I know what he means.

FWIW I still use a touch of the BK sub with these as well, without any ill effect.

Could be that the BK is a good match for small sealed box units..?

I agree.

'Commonly accepted practices' with Linn are full of contradictions. Sadly, a lot of this was seemingly deliberately propagated by dealers to reinforce the 'mythology' surrounding Linn.

Linn is just another pile of stuff offered at a price. You either like it or you don't, but please don't buy into the bullshit.

Some stuff got so extreme that Linn themselves had to issue instruction regarding 'What we mean by 'tight''. People were tightening cartridge screws, arm pillars etc., so much that they were actually deforming the metal..

Sheer idiocy.

Mull

Linn, being Scottish, may well have a particular take on what being tight means !

I set this mini system up over the Christmas period on orders from the Mrs to make a bit of space for the tree and other things :D

Simply an MDAC into a Nap 250 and played through these Royd Edens.

Snugged up against the wall the bass was truly all there, not a million miles away from the Briks with the full amp system in all honesty.

What an underrated little speaker these are that will also provide proper bass in an average room.

IMG_0278_zpsd3ml9ytd.jpg

Today I listen with a my dear friend the Kans and the SBLs. He noticed (I had the suspect) that the SBLs lack of HF respect to the Kans.

I bought my SBL in 2011, they are mk1 (1991) with mk2 bass driver, passive mode, my question is do the tweeters work correctly? Are they degraded? The tweeters and the crossover are the same in mk1 and mk2?

A tweeter replacement is a good solution?

Many thanks.

Guido.

advertisement

Back