advertisement

linn kan and LINN KAN!!!

I recon it's impossible to have an active LS3/5a because it wouldn't then adhere to the rigid BBC spec. ergo it ceases to be an LS3/5a.

LS3/5b perhaps though?

Active Kan's (Mine were II's) powered by 2x DIY 135's were awesome and if you closed your eyes you would swear the speakers were five times the size!

I was never a fan of LS3/5a's and Kans as they have no real bass (only a one note thump in the case of ALL 3/5a's and I've sold all varients at some time or another)

The best years for Linn speakers using KEF drivers was '83 to late '84. I had Kans for a short while (sounded hopelessly thin at home although the same pair sounded wonderful in my mate's system and longer room) and Isobariks back then. The Kan had a tilted 10db but linear response rise from 100 - 1KHz and placing them tight to the wall helped to flatten this, along with the bloated, fruity 'Sondek (or dull Rega cartridges) we all used at the time.

As stated earlier, KEF b*ggered up the drive units and all speakers using the B110 suffered catastrophically from this. The 3/5a was ruined forever and the Kans and Isobariks went all screechy and "hard"- just in time for Linn enthusiasts wanting to investigate CD reproduction - they ran a mile LOL!

The "upgrade" to the higher power B110 flattened the response of Kans and Iso's but the magic (and the LP12 era) had passed and they were never the same again.

Tukans are far superior IMO, especially with the later tweeters with the ribs on the front rather than the meshes.

I think it fair to say that in my experience ALL Linn speakers made after that awful Nexus thingy need to be active to sound anywhere near competitive. Activ Tukans can be really captivating, especially if everything's bought used to reduce costs..

I love right Kans in right installation, and regretted selling my £140-ish 1986 new black pair when I moved to Isobariks. 3 years ago I bought identical-looking £150 black Kan pair which often sound as good as anything I have heard - usually from LP12 or analogue tuner.

I seldom attempt to play them loudly in biggish room - if I want volume-'deep bass' on some source I use something else - heresy - installed in same room. IMO if installed correctly/in suitable environment I prefer Linn or Naim speaker-cable) from good source they work great with any competent expensive or cheap amplifier.

I am sure that there are other little speakers as equally revealing to their devotees.

PS (I love Isobariks too, but foolishly eventually sold mine and replaced them with something same size/as equally enjoyable/without the foam on the top).

One thing to consider/check on old Kans is that the Tweeter/Woofer screws are tightened-up once in a while. A bad seal will make your Kan sound awful!!!

It takes practice to remove the grille without damaging the cabinet, but it can be done.

I was never a fan of LS3/5a's and Kans as they have no real bass (only a one note thump in the case of ALL 3/5a's and I've sold all varients at some time or another)
I have a very (acoustic) difficult room, and had many (>15) speakers since 1987 and the Linn Kan's had the best bass I've ever experienced in my room! Never notices a 'one note thump'... I did many times with several other, ported speakers though. :(

regards,
Alco

What's the ideal positioning for Kans? I know they like to be 3" or so from a rear wall, how far do they like to be from side walls?

Thinking of trying an e bay pair just for the hell of it.

What's the ideal positioning for Kans? I know they like to be 3" or so from a rear wall, how far do they like to be from side walls?

Thinking of trying an e bay pair just for the hell of it.

Get them as close as possible to the rear wall without the connectors touching it. I'd say 3" or less. Using a flat Naim 4mm speaker connector gets them very close.
Keep them away from side walls and corners

Get them as close as possible to the rear wall without the connectors touching it. I'd say 3" or less. Using a flat Naim 4mm speaker connector gets them very close.
Keep them away from side walls and corners

Was thinking about a pair of Kans as wall mounts - but what Robert said implies they will be no good. I was thinking of fixing them (whatever they might be) either side of a fireplace - so close to side walls (chimney breast) and corner (where chimney breast meets wall).

Guy

Was thinking about a pair of Kans as wall mounts - but what Robert said implies they will be no good. I was thinking of fixing them (whatever they might be) either side of a fireplace - so close to side walls (chimney breast) and corner (where chimney breast meets wall).

Guy

Hi Guy,

Kans are fine on walls and there were even special brackets made for them. If they are positioned on the chimney breast they might work ok but not if you actually place them in the alcove.

Hi Guy,

Kans are fine on walls and there were even special brackets made for them. If they are positioned on the chimney breast they might work ok but not if you actually place them in the alcove.

Robert thanks, my aim would be to put them on the sides of the chimney breast so one would be in a bit of an alcove the other would be a bit more in free space. So maybe worth a go anyway? Others have suggested Rega Kytes - any view on the comparison between Kan and Kyte?

Guy

The Kyte shares many Kan attributes but isn't as demanding when it comes to set up. Probably the safer bet.

Kytes should be cheap as well... Rega also did a wall bracket for them and the holes were pre tapped in the back of the cabs as I remember.

Some of the older Linn/Sound Organisation dealers may have the dedicated Kan brackets in stock (you never know...)

I'll agree that a good working pair of Kans in a room (and with a system) they like can be truly captivating.

I have a memory from 23 years ago of going into our London shop which had a large dem room. The branch was VERY heavily Linn/Naim and they had playing a pair of active Kans with 2x250's driving them. Radio 4 was playing (Naim tuner?) and I distinctly thought when I arrived that there were two men having a discussion in the dem room. It was only when I peered round the door I saw it was "just" the Kans.... Active 'Bariks could do similar on occasion, but you had to be VERY careful!

The nearest decent modern equivalents I've heard have been certain Sonus Fabers. They have the same forthright delivery, but with an honesty about them (and gorgeous looks) I really love.......

From my experience in 2 different properties with solid floors, Kans from suitable front-end/on stable suitable supports can sound stunning even in alcoves either side of chimney-breast. They do not always need to be bang up against solid wall.

I have tried them thus only with solid wall/solid chimney-breast, and suspect that they will sound disappointing near non-solid 'chimney/walling'.

advertisement

Back