advertisement

Linn Kairn - moving magnet and moving coil inputs

rhgbristol

pfm Member
I have a Linn Kairn pre-amplifier, which has separate moving magnet and moving coil phono cartridge inputs, which potentially will enable two turntables to be connected and easily selected as individual sources.

As both my current turntables have moving magnet cartridges fitted, with which I am very happy and ideally I don’t really want to change one of them to a lower output moving coil cartridge, what options can be recommended to enable both turntables to be connected? - in other words to connect a higher output moving magnet cartridge to the moving coil input - but to get signal levels and capacitive/resistive loadings correct?

Is there such a thing as a step down transformer that could be used - or some other simple resistive type attenuator that would not reduce sound quality ?

I understand a separate phono stage could be considered feeding into the aux input but I’d rather not increase the box count!

The cartridges in question are Shure V15 mk5 vxmr, & Linn Adikt.

Comments very welcome.

Maybe try a very simple passive pre like a Schiit SYS, 2 switchable inputs and one output. Nice small unit… as it happens I have one gathering dust at the moment.

advertisement

Back