advertisement

Linn Kabers

pjblakey

pfm Member
I have opportunity to acquire a pair of Linn Kabers SN 8600/8599. These have active back plates but come with no active crossover or amps, and in order to get started I would like to find the appropriate passive crossovers for these SNumbers.
I understand there are several factory iterations and I wonder if the LS500 crossovers would work. I see a pair of these on the bay.
Anyone have an inkling?
Failing this, I will probably use a minidsp and create my own active system. Somehow.
Thanks
Peter

Thanks David. I’d like to find out more about the Linn active crossover parameters. The passive crossover points, at least for one iteration of Kaber are LR12 @ 80hz and LR24 @2800hz. That’s all I’ve been able to find out so far.

It’s a 2.5 speaker configuration, and I just found Kaber active user manual info on the web that confirms those crossover points. I have sufficient 60wpc amps, so I may go ahead and play with the minidsp.

What happened subsequently Peter?

I've rough rigged a pair of Hypex Class D Fusion 123 plate amps trying to emulate an active six pack style Kaber system. I've managed to get it up and running, initially through the passive x-overs with no DSP filtering, then, directly to the drive units using 3 way topology. Info is very sketchy. It's v difficult to find much info related to 'our' mission. Recently though I found this: (sketchy again but confirmed my speculation about the usage of the 2 x 5 ½ drivers.)

QUOTE (Stereo Review - Hirsch)
At low frequencies, both operate together as woofers. Above 200Hz the response of the lower driver is rolled of, leaving the upper driver to radiate the mid-range frequencies upto the 3,0-Hz tweeter crossover. This arrangement provides the maximum radiating cone area at low frequencies and eliminates the midrange interference between the drivers that could otherwise occur if both were operating over the same range.
UNQUOTE

I'm (very) slowly tweaking the active x-over, and it is sounding better at every tweak.

- rajeev

advertisement

Back