advertisement

Linn Ittok value

I remember when the Akito came out Sound Org did an invited dem to demonstrate it's superiority over the Ittock. Wonder how they rigged it? Perhaps the old tweaked volume control trick?

Sounds likely. Or a couple of small components in the cabling to the Ittok. That and a bit of NLP based persuasion and foot-tapping.;)

the new akito is much lighter than the old jap built mark 1 arm

does that make it better? ...or does it make it more of a gap to the ekos Se :0

The price fetched by old Ittoks mystifies me:(
I've had really nice examples of Syrinx PU3, Zeta, Kuzma Stogi & Kuzma Stogi S,
all picked up for way less than the silly prices used Ittoks fetch.
Of course once the Linn blinkers are on you can lead a horse to water ......:p

Blinkers Si74? Linn blinkers? My main tonearm isn't Linn but I do like a good tik-tok. Credit where due and the Japs built a very good arm. The market has the pricing right.

Get hold of a FR sometime and have a look at that, too.

Ps I'm not inspired by manufacturers who cannot anodise, plate or paint well. You may be...

I don't listen to paint, anodising or plating and generally don't rate the many tik toks that have passed through. Loved an FR64s? many moons ago on an Oracle with a Koetsu but find detachable headshells? kind of defeats the purpose unless you change cartridges all the time.

So the best arms have a crappy finish and any brand except Linn. Fine. Perhaps you should stick to cheapo stuff.

I had the original Akito it was ok but not a patch on my Ittok. Close up on the new Akito you can see clear differences. Not heard one though. Me thinks Linn should have chose a new name for the current iteration of Akito as its soiled by the originals dodgy bearings.

I think it really depends on how good the new Akito bearings are and how precise they are adjusted.
My Ekos had become worse over the years and I take it before I sent it in to Audio Origami, you could have beaten it with next to any arm.

J7 did a phantastic job and especially I appreciated I could rely on he would tell me if he felt the arm was repairable or able to be cured by adjustment or if I should rather look for another arm in case the bearings had shown serious wear.

If mine or any s/h replacement, I would have sent any arm to AO for check before using it and had I asked my local dealer I had some idea what his advice would have been, so I didn't even ask.

I'm happy my Ekos is in great shape again now and I think doing considerably better than an Ittok or Ekos serviced by J7 is not too easy.

If a new Akito is capable of bettering my Ekos in performance or not doesn't cost me any sleep as it does not degrade the performance I enjoy here in any way. :)

@ Gaius..from curiosity: What arm are you considering going to from your Ittok..?

ah, great ! :)
curious for your findings then...
I have an unipivot coming in on a DPS by the time my new Lyra Delos gets delivered
and I'm quite curious for the way of presentation in my chain.

Never heard an Aro, but unipivots are said to have something special about them
so I'm happy for the opportunity of experiencing this. :)

Also I look forward to swapping the Delos back and forth between the DPS/ LP12 and my previous Zyx and see what exactly happens there, which differences or characteristics show up, how much more is due to the deck/arm combi and not solely the cart.

Promises to become interesting... :)

Does anybody know the s/h value of an Akito 2?
I haven´t found a completed auction on f!*bay.

Thanks

I just bought Gaius's J7 wired Ittok. This one is with Silver Ikea wire. It's a really big step up from a standard Ittok and it's convinced me that the wiring was the major stop-gap in the performance of the Ittok and more generally of mid-level LP12s (this and the standard sub-chassis). The LP12 is not my main deck but it sounds great now, and I really fancy trying the Audio Origami Ittok on my Omega Point.

I just bought Gaius's J7 wired Ittok. This one is with Silver Ikea wire. It's a really big step up from a standard Ittok and it's convinced me that the wiring was the major stop-gap in the performance of the Ittok and more generally of mid-lever LP12s (this and the standard sub-chassis). The LP12 is not my main deck but it sounds great now, and I really fancy trying the Audio Origami Ittok on my Omega Point.

I'm glad you like it, it really is a lovely arm and another endorsement for j7.

How do you know the improvement was the wiring and not the skilful servicing and adjustment of an old arm? With standard designs, it usually comes down to how well adjusted the bearings are ; the difference can come as a bit of a shock.
I sometimes wonder if this is a key reason why unipivots such as the Aro sound so good...no bearings to cause problems.

I just bought Gaius's J7 wired Ittok. This one is with Silver Ikea wire.
Is that a wire that you have to build yourself with an Allen key, before realising halfway through the build that half the screws are missing and that it's too big for the space you had planned?

ah, great ! :)
curious for your findings then...
I have an unipivot coming in on a DPS by the time my new Lyra Delos gets delivered
and I'm quite curious for the way of presentation in my chain.

Never heard an Aro, but unipivots are said to have something special about them
so I'm happy for the opportunity of experiencing this. :)

Promises to become interesting... :)
I have a Garrard 401 with a Notts A unipivot and a Lenco with a Mayware mk 5, again UP. Both great. I have no need for gimbal bearings any more.

advertisement

Back