advertisement

Linn Ittok LV11 tone arm upgrade question

If what you say about

"The guy at Audiofile in Cambridge is called Malcolm and he is the Linn Sondek expert who (from what I remember) has been setting them up since the 70's when they came out."

is true then relax - give him the £60 and a bag of good tea/chocolate/beer

sounds like good value

When I first bought my LP12 just over 3 years ago, the speed was way off, it was about 28, instead of 33.3 (whatever), everything sounded really slow. Also, the arm board was wonky. The chap who sold it me was liquidating his hi-fi shop; Technosound Systems Ltd, Dunstable, Beds. He was the owner and proud to tell me that he sets up his own LP12's, well as Mr Pig stated earlier in this thread, so-called professionals can screw up decks; the guy I bought mine off certainly did.

Audiofile in Cambridge charged me £126 plus vat to replace a few basic parts, adjust the axis of the motor to get the speed bang on again, and a general service. When they finished, it was much better, and the arm board was level etc. They do appear professional and on the case.

Malcolm inspires confidence when I talk to him on the phone, and he definitely not a teenager, which again, inspires confidence.

I agree Ian, I don't want to really get into building a support system while I service my LP12. Perhaps I might look at that in the future, but for now, I'll spend the £60 and the chocolate ;)

I had the Ittok LV3 MK2 arm fitted today, with a brand new Denon DL-110 MC cart. What a huge improvement. I have bass, deep smooth bass ;)

Such a chocolate smooth sounding arm, more revealing than my first generation Akito.

I'm really happy with my LP12/Ittok set up now.

Thanks for great advice all.

advertisement

Back